HybridZ

SBC 355ci?

O yeah, MAKE SURE you arent getting stuck with a 305 Iroc. I have seen way too many people try to advertise camaro's/firebirds with 350's and they were 305's. The ones that say they have a stock camaro with a 5.7l/5speed are easy to spot seeing that GM knew better than to put a stick behind the 350's.

you really cant, they are identical on the outside but ask the seller for the casting number on the block if he will give it to you. its kind of a pain to read, especially on a f-body. its on the back driverside corner of the block on a pad next to where the bellhousing on the tranny bolts to by the brake booster. Also I believe they also are marked around there with a "5.7" or "5.0" but I could be wrong.

Hi,

I've been reading more lately instead of posting, so I know the basics of an SBC, but I definitely want to have it built in America (I just don't trust the engine builders around here). I know more or less what I'd want (350/355 SBC, Tremec TKO 500) but I still have a few questions.

1° I want 5sec 0-60mph and 155mph performance. How much rear wheel horsepower do I need?

2° Reliability is my first concern: what engine builder do you recommend?

ps Wall Street had a great year in 2005, budget for engine, clutch and transmission is $8.000.

Kind regards,

Z.

I'd recommend a crate motor from GMPP or Scoggin' Dickey. Realistically, you'd need 400 flywheel HP to make sure you'd get in the 155mph range, and getting a sub 5 second 0-60 shouldn't be an issue.

On the transmission, You're going to have OVER $3000 invested by the time you buy the trans( Got my tko600 from D&D Performance for $1800), SFI Bellhousing ($300-350) Flywheel and Clutch kit (Another $400-500), Clutch Hydraulics (See my fiasco with the clutch fork and release bearing).

Shipping it there from here? I have no clue, but I bet it won't be less than $500 for each component (motor/ Trans)!

Mike

One other word of advice. This is all of our homes in cyber space so if any of us see a bad link, or info that is out dated, let the moderators know. They will fix the problem if they know about it. Sorta like our homes, we always complain to the wife when the house is dirty but we rarely do anything to help clean it up.....We can all make this a better place by being moderators to the moderators....out....

Terry

Yep' date=' because I have read well over 500 threads on this board and 95% start with "search for your answer".

Im a member of over 20 automotive boards and have never seen it this bad. I condone doing a search but even simple answers are often shot down and threads locked without a answer as simple as "the gap of the plugs needs to be X.XX"". Of course I made that up but Im sure you will get the idea.

Now that being said, I have found an answer for almost any question I have had by using the search function but the problem is the threads are so old that the pics, links, etc are now bad links.[/quote']

BelgianZ --

You might consider buying an engine/trans combination from a salvage yard. Take a look at http://www.fparts.us for example. As I recall, you can get a late model LS1/T56 combo for around $5k and even with shipping that should be within your budget. Unless you just want to go old school (iron block and carb), the LS1/T56 combo is very hard to beat.

Dave