HybridZ

Trick 87mm flat top pistons

Russ

Hi all,

I finally finished uni, got my 240 (hooray) and then realised I needed to totally rebuild the engine so getting stuck into that now.

I am going for a 2.8 block with my 240 rods/head/crank for a short stroke engine. I think a +1mm overbore is in order so that's 87mm flat tops I need.

Now I know all Z parts are cheaper in the states, but unfortunately shipping and customs makes it expensive to get the parts here.

I have 6 pistons with rings for £300 here ($523) which is the cheapest I could find. I am looking to find either better pistons (maybe even

forged) for the same or similar money... can anyone recommend anything? I saw some Honda pistons that were bought for the purpose but they needed different rods. I think I can buy from Europe without having to pay import duty and the shipping would be cheaper.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them, so long as they are on topic ;)

Thanks in advance

:icon6: You can go with cast or forged piston. The forged pistons are now going for around $600 for a 1MM (40over) piston. You can look around at most racing piston sites and get the info you need. I decided to go with a cast piston 1MM over size. Got them from the Victoria British store. They are made by ITM. Only cost me less then $300 for six pistons with rings and pins. Make sure you order for the 280ZX engine. It will give you the flat top piston and not the dished piston that came in most 280Z's. Good hunting, Rich.:cool:

I know the 3.0L stroker people can use VG30 pistons(87mm, from Z31 or Maxima) with L24 rods and LD28 crank...but you are going to use L24 crank...

If you like to rev your engine, make sure your L24 crank is the one with 8 counterweights, some early 240Z have 6(or 7?, can't find the information) counterweights instead of 8. Sorry can't help much.

Thank you for your help guys.

RedNeckZ: Thanks for the 280zx advice. I have been in touch with VB twice now trying to buy pistons but they just aren't interested in selling to me. Each time they promise to find out shipping and never get back to me. Same with Motorsport Auto and others, they only want to use FedEx 3 day delivery or something so I'm looking at $300 to post + probably 15% import duty :( It actually works out cheaper to fly to the US myself and get them (apart from getting from the airport to the Z shop).

Daw: I've no idea of the engines history and although it looks good I'd sooner overbore. Just means that whilst the engine is in pieces I can do it all properly and once, and then it'll be good for as long as I have it. One option I may try is finding myself a US 'friend' who can ship something to me here. There are a couple companies that do similar, I'll have to check it out.

JaysZ: Yeh checked that out before thanks, really handy :)

TheNeedForZ: That's interested about the VG30 pistons! I shall look around for some prices for those here. My Z is a early-mid '73 and afaik has the correct number of weights, I'll check it out next time I'm in the garage, thanks.

Few pics of my car/engine in pieces if you have two minutes to waste http://www.zclub.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=537

You near liverpool or manchester?

I am due in to either place the 27th of this month, and in my tool kit I am carrying mirrors for a 280ZX, and about $400 worth of small bits for a boat-tailed 69 Buick Riveria...

Somehow I think adding six pistons might get a bit "suspicious" but if my flight transfers through Schipol in Amsterdam, I'm sure they wil be more concerned about "other" things coming in than engine bits...

The problem being at this point actually getting the parts to me before I leave! MSA is close, and I already am making a trip to Harbor Freight for Paul in Norway (gads, I'm a regular contraband artist, huh?) but the question is how long is their wait for pistons.

If you want them shipped SURFACE, and can wait the 8-10 WEEKS (sometimes longer) I would be morethan happy to pick up a will-call at MSA for you, and repackage and ship them that way. Would probably run around $40-$50 US to ship just pistons, pins, and rings. I do it for Frank280ZX in Utrecht Netherlands all the time.

Blast, I will have to set it up to make another trip, won't I? LOL

DAW: Thank you for your help. Well it all started with taking the engine out because I couldn't get my exhaust manifold off :) Then I decided to paint the block, and then here I am. Originally I wanted to do it stock standard, and concentrate on learning to tune my SUs, but the more I took it apart the more "whilst I'm in here I might as well do this" came up.

I don't want to throw money at it as I am planning a hybrid z in a few years time, but I also want a nice motor.

My current plan is this

1.75" round tops with ITG or K&N filter and trumpets on standard manifold

E88 head, bigger valves, new seats/guides, gently flowed

Rally cam (from Dave Jarman over here, he builds rally Zs)

P90 block +1mm overbore

L24 rods/crank

ARP bolts throughout

I may have the bottom end balanced, but I need to research that first.

It's just pistons really. I don't mind paying over the odds for most parts as I appreciate it costs money to get here etc, but the pistons don't seem such a good deal and seeing as I'm doing a reasonable amount to the rest of the engine I thought it'd be nice to have some quality pistons.

I have a load of books on the engine so checked I have the 9mm bolts, which I do :) I'm looking at 9.45:1 compression, although I'm going to have all faces very lightly skimmed so compression should be heading up to nearly 10:1, dependant on gasket.

Tony: Thank you very much for the offer, and the Buick Riveria sounds lovely. I'm not near Liverpool/Manchester but probably know someone who is. I'm in no great hurry for the pistons, I'd sooner wait and do it properly that rush it now. If I go to the effort of getting pistons from the states, and more importantly I put you out, then I'll go for the $600 forged pistons mentioned earlier by RedNeckZ.

Thanks

Russ ,I'm in Mesa, Arizona. I was just over at ARIZONA Z-CAR the other day

and I looked at a forged piston that dave sells on his website for around 600.00 USD for a set with rings and pins. looked real nice. They are 87mm and for the longer 240 rod also. he ships over seas all the time,so you might want to give him a call or send him an e-mail.

Mike.

Mike,

You Sir are a genius. I have no idea why I missed thinking of Arizona Z car :) A guy in our club has basically just bought everything in their catalogue and it looks superb, can't wait to get myself some of that.

I will ring them tonight (mid day for you guys) and see what we can come up with.

Thanks for letting me know,