HybridZ

Mid 10's on junk

dladow

I ran across this on the NovaResource.com site. I love the belt-sander to modify the pistons for valve clearance. Sort of gives new meaning to a budget build up. Can't imagine it would hold up for more than a few runs. Here's the description:

"Andrew Nelson and Sean DeVine of Fly With Junk Racing built this 1977 Nova for under $2000 to compete in a budget racing series. I first saw this car in How Rod where they discussing the competition. This Nova was the quickest in the quarter mile doing it all naturally aspriated. Sean said the engine is a flee market refugee. Cylinders 7 & 8 were rusted and needed to be sanded in order to clean. The cam required 45 minutes of sanding. There are .060" over TRW flat top pistons and a dirt-track cam that measures .612" lift. The valve reliefs were clearanced with a belt sander. Everything is well worn with .015" end play and .005-6 piston clearance. While cylinders 7 & 8 cleaned up after rust removed, 3, 4 & 6 had scoring. The intake is box stock Edelbrock Victor Jr. with no porting and an 850 Holley on top. Headers are 1-7/8" x 32" with a home fabricated collector. Two 3" secondary pipes to a single 4" exhaust. Muffler fabbed from 5" tractor trailer stack found on the road. The Canfield heads have a shifted intake port and no port work done. The Intake port is 195 cc and flow 259" at 28". The unknown convertor stalls about 2,800 on line with foot brake. They removed 1,162 pounds of the car to achieve a race weight of 2,727 pounds with driver and gas. Sean says the thing sounds like it turning a bazzillion rpm's because of the single exhaust. Shifts 1-2 at 6,700 and 2-3 at 6,900. Through traps at 6,800 with 4.11 gear & 28.5" tire. The car ran 10.48 on posted timeslip with 87 octane and no NOS."

Not sure if I believe it, but here's the link - its about half way down the page. They have a picture of the engine too.

http://www.novaresource.org/g77.htm

Dave

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Belt sander...hehe

How about me shaving .070" off my pistons with 100 grit sandpaper on the garage floor? Now THAT is redneck!!! LOL Too bad the cast pistons couldn't take the 11.6:1 CR. That was A LOT of work down the drain!! haha

If true, that Nova is ONE FAST piece of junk!!!