HybridZ

What is the power that the 240z blows up at?

Thumper

I just blew my 5-spd and don't have the money for another tranny at the moment. I have a 4-spd out of my 260z lying on ground and was wondering what is the power these blow at. Will it take 200hp? 300hp? 400hp? Drag launches on street tires at 200hp? 300hp? etc... If need be i'll just baby this but this is my 2nd car and I have AAA so I don't mind pushing the limit on the 4spd just want to know where that limit is. Thanks.

I was putting 230 to the wheels with my 4 speed but I only drag raced it a handfull of times, mostly autocross and second gear syncro was bas to begin with, I upped to the KA 5 speed just to get rid of the sloppy shifter in the early cars along with the 5th gear

Trannys die from torque application and the rate that the torque is multiplied in tranny. The 4 speed should be able to handle the same amount of torque as the basic diameter of the gears and shafts are the same. Saying that-- all 4 speeds are going on 30 years old. The 4 speed often has a lower 1st gear and will multiply the applied torque to a higher level. 4 speed are cheap and all L-series are easy to install. For 2-5 hours of work and the cost of a fluid change you can have car back in service. Be gentle in 1/2 and as long as the tranny is in reasonable shape it will do fine. And if it dies, no real loss...

Guest 73Turbo240z

we swapped in my spare 4 speed today, and it lasted i'd guess about 10 miles before thumper was speaking of some vibrations in the shifter, intially he thought his downpipe might be rubbing, but after inspection no dice, so the trans apparently is already ready to grenade.

but we had 3 houston turbo Z's running for a brief time today, and hell continues to burn, so some rumor's arn't true i suppose.

I was putting 230 to the wheels with my 4 speed but I only drag raced it a handfull of times, mostly autocross and second gear syncro was bas to begin with, I upped to the KA 5 speed just to get rid of the sloppy shifter in the early cars along with the 5th gear
Does the KA tranny bolt on to the L6, or do you need to mod the bell housing? Does it weight more or less? Just want yes or no answers.

Sorry I didn't want to make another thread just for these quick questions.

we swapped in my spare 4 speed today, and it lasted i'd guess about 10 miles before thumper was speaking of some vibrations in the shifter, intially he thought his downpipe might be rubbing, but after inspection no dice, so the trans apparently is already ready to grenade.

Actually I think we might have been premature. Sure 3rd and 4th gear can be hard to get into but I put a prybar between my downpipe and tranny this morning and it is better. As in it only shakes at higher rpms or under heavy load instead of any load like last night. So i'm going to get underneath her today and pry it out some. See if that helps.

Does the KA tranny bolt on to the L6' date=' or do you need to mod the bell housing? Does it weight more or less? Just want yes or no answers.

Sorry I didn't want to make another thread just for these quick questions.[/quote']

do a search, there are at least 2 write ups on it, you need a front case and countershaft bearing from a datsun trans, the shaft will need to be shortened and the mount modified