HybridZ

newb question: MS vs z31 turbo eccs

stephen87

iam wanting to build another turbo l28 zcar, i have had 3 with the stock 280zxt electroincs, and 1 using the stock '76 n/a electronic, (belive it or not, that was the fastest and most trouble free set up)

any way, i am sick to hell of the older setups with the trap door style afm.. they all gave me head aches, and iam wanting to push BIG hp, and i have seen some people on here with 400+ hp..

iam can't afford to go sds, aem, haltech or any other systems like that.. i really like the idea z31 electroincs mainly for the simplicty and i can get all the stuff i would need to convert to z31..

and to be honest i have been reading up on ms, and it seems very complicated (or at lest too complicated for my simple mind) the z31 stuff i can get is from an '84 turbo, and i know it is not supposed to be as good as the later eccs, and iam also sure that it would not like the large injectors it would need, but i was planning on using a piggy back system like "Greddy emanage"

so how does the z31 eccs with emanage stack up against mega squirt? and will it support 400 ish hp? and would it be somewhat streetable?

I think main problem going with earlier Z31 ECCS is you won't have the EPROM. But I did have a L28ET(really was L26ET) running on Z31 ECU with no problem. made 256RHP on stock injectors. IT was my daily had no problem. Don't know about 400HP with stock MAF but I have seen close to that and more on JWT setup.

Also can't knock on MS either. Loosescrew can help you get you going on MS since he has done it before.

L6 is where is at

The Z31 ecu works good for a lot of people. What does it take to get it to 400hp, if its programmable which Bernard syas so IIRC, then that shouldn't be a problem.

paging Bernard and other Z31 gurus

I still think that the Z31 swap is the best/cheapest/easiest solution and then Megasquirt moves up from there as cheap/fully prgrammable/not so easy unless you have worked on a car with one.

well, it becomes programmable when used with an E-manage, correct?

No, it becomes programmable with Nistune and/or the Romulator.

the E-manage just lets you tweak parameters on the input side to screw with the injector pulsewidths.

The Nistune is....ohhhhh, oooooohhhh, eeerrraaagh! It's so much more...

paging Bernard and other Z31 gurus

Alright I'm here.

Piggyback with emanage is a waste of time. It won't get you to 400hp without major work. The stock maf with a tuned late 87 + ecu and bigger injectors will meter close 400hp. The megasquirt and a tuned z31 ecu will have the same driveabilty. On the cheap you could use an eeprom burner and eeprom to tune with a wideband.