HybridZ

Replacing NASTY clutch fluid

trwebb26

I'm pretty sure the clutch fluid in my 280z is original. It is really nasty looking and I'm sure is full of water (stupid hydroscopic brake fluid). I know to fill it with dot3 brake fluid... but how do I bleed out all of the old bad stuff and put in fresh new? Should I drain everything and then fill it up with new? Should I replace any o-rings in the cylinder - or try to clean it? What would you do to make it "factory fresh"? If it makes a difference - I'm putting on a SS clutch line, too. What is the best bleeding tool (my wife isn't patient enuf to help me). I've never done this before and any reccomendations would be great!

Tim

Its easiest todo this with two people.

Stop by kragens by a brake bleeder kit. Attach the hose the the end of the bleeder valve. Push the clutch down 3 times and then hold it while your holding turn the bleeder valve open and give it a second till the liquid stops flowing. chechk your clutch fluid and keep topping it off. do this entire proccess 3-4 times and you should be good

Use a hand vacuum pump (mityvac or equivalent) on each wheel cylinder starting with the farthest from the master cylinder. Open the bleeder and manually pump until you get clear fluid. You do have to periodically check the fluid level on the reservoir and fill it back up. You can do the whole job in about an hour...

Toys, must have more toys, err, I mean tools... :mrgreen:

Use a hand vacuum pump (mityvac or equivalent) on each wheel cylinder starting with the farthest from the master cylinder. Open the bleeder and manually pump until you get clear fluid. You do have to periodically check the fluid level on the reservoir and fill it back up. You can do the whole job in about an hour...

Toys' date=' must have more toys, err, I mean tools... :mrgreen:[/quote']

take in mind last time i check a vacuum pump costa around 40 while i bought my crappy but working manual one for like 8 bucks

Just bleed the clutch and keep pumping the pedal until clear fluid comes out.

Really quite trivial.

All you need is one person, a can of brake fluid, 2 feet of clear tubing and an empty jar. Put one end of the tubing on the bleed valve and the other in the jar. Open the bleed valve, then shut it with you fingers until you just get some resistance. Start pumping and refilling the reserviour until you see nothing but clear fluid in the tube. Then tighten down the bleed valve before disconnecting the tube and you are done.

Shouldn't take one person more than 15 minutes, depending upon how many beers you crack.

The vac pump at Auto Zone (manual hand pump I was speaking of) is $25.

It is also good for a lot of other things, like checking diaphragm actuators and brake boosters, as well as PCV's.

Good money spent IMO, and it does not leave micro bubbles of air in the caliper like can happen if you do the pump and bleed too vigorously, or if your car is one of those with the brake lines that go every which way getting to the wheel cylinder...

This is a hybrid car forum... Tools are GOOD... :mrgreen: