HybridZ

Dead Innovative LM1, can you ID this diode?

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright, as we were working getting mikes (ON3GO) car ready to drive the other day, we noticed his LM1 quit responding suddenly, so after digging around with the voltmeter for awhile we determined the car to not be at fault, nor the power wiring to the box, so we cracked the box open, and this is what we found...

This is mikes LM1 (cream/beige box)

3502_p105228.jpg

This is my LM1 (black box)

3502_p105227.jpg

So here you can start to look at them and see where they are different and where they arn't, but just in case i've highlighted them as well.

The red box is the blow diode on mikes box, and on my LM1 there is nothing there, this is juncture D2 according to the boards printout.

3502_p105223.jpg

3502_p105226.jpg

The green box is what appears to be the same type of diode, but what it looks like when it's not blown, it occurs at juncture D1 on both LM1's.

3502_p105225.jpg

3502_p105224.jpg

The green box is our noting that the diode there, juncture R23, is reversed in it's orientation between Mikes LM1 and my own.

That all being said, we are guessing this blown diode is responsible for the box not working, and we want to replace the diode to test it out, i've called and spoken with innovative, they would not tell me what this diode is, they instead kept pushing for me to just send the LM1 in for service.

So if anyone can suggest a way to ID this diode so we can sauder in a equivalent one, i'd sure appriciate it, this isn't rocket science, and it would save weeks of downtime on tuning his car.

They have some pretty smart folks that hang on the LM-1 forum (http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4) including "Klaus" the owner/designer, that would prolly love to answer these questions...

I'd post up this same Q's with pics, and see what happens...

D1 is a 1N4001B diode. I can't read D4, but double check it since a 1N4004 looks identical. Pick it up at a Fry's or at Radio Shack (if they have it).

Edit: You can use a 1N4004 in place of a 4001, but not the opposite. The 4004 just supports a higher peak voltage.

Edit again: I just went to the garage and looked at them (gosh I'm a freakin nerd, huh?). The 4004 is the black ones D4 and D5. D2 is also a 4001.

Mouser sells them, but you'll pay the minimum $3 or something service fee for a $0.03 part (literally: link)

The resistor outlined in blue is the same, they don't make a difference which way they are inserted.

"Ole Blue Z' date=' dropping 12 to 18 year old girls panties since 2006.."

Maybe I am just an old fart but given some of the issues we have in society today, I would like to suggest you adjust the numbers from that line in your sig.[/quote']

I think he just got the numbers backwards, he meant 21 to 18.

Guest 73Turbo240z

no he's being serious... the 1st day we got the car driving around he was getting holla'd at by the 12-18 demographic.

kinda sat, mine only ever gets dirty looks.

I bought one of the very first LM-1's, with the white/tan covers on it, and never had any problems with it.

I didn't care for the color, so I sent it in for "the fix" for what ever trouble they were having with them, and got it back with the new black cover.

I bet that was one, if not, the only change done on the inside of it... (the diode change )

Guest 73Turbo240z

We've given up on the diode swap, we've contacted innovative, they want us to send it in, so were going too.

Obviously the diode failed, and from what others have said it appears thats not an uncommon occurance at all after looking at mine too.

I poked around on the LM1 forum, they appear to be highly regarded in terms of there customer service and support, so hopefully they will fix us up so we can get back to work...

Cause frankly mike doesn't have a chance in hell of catching me on 7psi, no matter how much dope he's huffing. :-P