HybridZ

external wastegate...oem manifold.

Guest 73Turbo240z
id be intrested in one like Cjarloz. how much?

rough math, the flanges i get cost me $44 a piece for 1/2" thick CNC'd stainless, i'd need 2, so thats $88, plus steel sheet, which i could do in mild or stainless, each effecting price. I'd take a shot in the dark to say that the parts would run around $140-150 shipped with whatever wastegate setup you supply.

i'd really have to build one to give a solid production cost when it all comes down to it. if i had a bigger capital to work with i'd start selling them w/ wastegates already included and just up the price so i could keep turn around time really low.

rough math' date=' the flanges i get cost me $44 a piece for 1/2" thick CNC'd stainless, i'd need 2, so thats $88, plus steel sheet, which i could do in mild or stainless, each effecting price. I'd take a shot in the dark to say that the parts would run around $140-150 shipped with whatever wastegate setup you supply.

i'd really have to build one to give a solid production cost when it all comes down to it. if i had a bigger capital to work with i'd start selling them w/ wastegates already included and just up the price so i could keep turn around time really low.[/quote']

Im starting to collect parts to turbo mine right now so i will be getting in contact with u in the near future.

I could do them in mild steel for around 100 bucks plus shipping including your choice of WG flange. You supply the bolts.

Btw v8260 i like your profile quote " If you want everyone to hate you, drive a bimmer" This is so true, I get ragged on for driving a $3500 325is with 220K miles on it like im rich!

I could do them in mild steel for around 100 bucks plus shipping including your choice of WG flange. You supply the bolts.

Btw v8260 i like your profile quote " If you want everyone to hate you' date=' drive a bimmer" This is so true, I get ragged on for driving a $3500 325is with 220K miles on it like im rich![/quote']

yea it is. i use to drive an e28 super eta 5 series and when people would ask me u drive a bimmer? like im rich or somthing. still a beuitfully well balanced car. btw i dont think u remember me 240hoke. We spoke on aim. im egyptiangangsta

I want to offer one word of caution from my own expierence. If you make a spacer like Cjarloz has pictured it will be very close or will not work on a zx. I made one identical to the one he has pictured and it put the turbo right on the steering shaft. I tried bringing the turbo up by angling the spacer, but never could get it to fit. I made mine out of three inch wide steel stock with i think 3/8 inch spacers. The steering shaft is much longer on z's which gives them less of an angle, where zx's are shorter and have more of an angle bringing them closer to the turbo. Im not trying to say it can't be done, but its going to be a close fit and it was a huge pain in the a@@, so much that i just welded my tial on the manifold.

I want to offer one word of caution from my own expierence. If you make a spacer like Cjarloz has pictured it will be very close or will not work on a zx. I made one identical to the one he has pictured and it put the turbo right on the steering shaft. I tried bringing the turbo up by angling the spacer, but never could get it to fit. I made mine out of three inch wide steel stock with i think 3/8 inch spacers. The steering shaft is much longer on z's which gives them less of an angle, where zx's are shorter and have more of an angle bringing them closer to the turbo. Im not trying to say it can't be done, but its going to be a close fit and it was a huge pain in the a@@, so much that i just welded my tial on the manifold.

Blake is absolutly correct, i should have mentioned this ealier as my set up is already fairly cramped because of the adapter i had to mess with the angles on the wastegate flange to get it to not bump the block. so my best advice would be Measure 3 Times and Install once.

im a little confused. its a problem only on the zx or all zs? I have a 75 280. would it be a problem then?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
That honestly looks like you're wastgate-ing the outlet side...??

Not sure what your question is but....

The wastegate just bypasses the exhaust turbine. The 1 inch hole is before the exhaust turbine so the external wastegate just diverts the exhaust flow around the turbine (just like the stock wastegate does).

or

The bypass valve connects the suction side of the turbo to the throttle body input. so when the throttle blade closes the air has some where to go (back to the turbo intake). The output from the turbo goes under the oil pan (the turbo is clocked downwards) so you can't really see the turbo out put tube.