HybridZ

wacky swap: 240z parts on a 280 chassis

Has anyone ever changed a 280Z into a 240Z? What I mean is can you put the 240 tail lights and dash and front turn signals and all the stuff that makes a 240 a 240 on to a 280z chassis. And what makes the 280 heaver is it just thicker gauge sheet metal in the chassis? I was just wondering... anyone?

lots of stuff makes the 280 heavier, the bare chassis is heavier, the unibody is better designed and has additional metal making the 280 stiffer and heavier, the injection system and wire harness weigh more, there is more sound deadening, safty bars int he doors, the seatbelts and bumpers all weigh more, the later cars were available with factory air which added weight

bottom line if you want to make your 280 look like a 240 you can but why? I understand using the skinny bumopers which save weight and are not so unsightly but to bother with things like the tail lights and dash just seems like a lot of work for no real reason

I'm going with the 240 front and rear bumpers, front valance and turn signals, but the stock tail lights on a 77 280. the 240/early260 is a much cleaner looking car IMHO. As for the dash, I'd only goto the trouble if I had a perfect 240 dash. You'd have to swap the dash and center console, plus the likely changes in heater vents, electrical, etc.

Thanks for the posts guys... The reason that I would want to do that is because I Have a 240 with some frame damage but I have a perfect dash, center console, gages, seats, tail lights. It would probably cost more to fix the frame than it would to get a 76 280. And if I get a 76 I might get a non-egr intake with an N42 block for the 3.1 liter turbo I might build. It is also easyer to find a 280 than a "good" 240.

So just to be clear ... the chassis has all the same dash mounts and heater core mounts center console and all that stuff ... right?

thanks again

P.S. has anyone done this?