HybridZ

Gas Tank

Billy Ryan

Hold your wallet in your own pocket mister money bags!

I guess the real questions is when do you stop. When I was figuring out this swap I thought the Walbro 255, and some new lines would be all I needed. And then the monster jumped out and said "for a few more dollars you can the Aeromotive A1000, and it will be the last pump you need to get!" So I said great idea, I hate wasting money on something that I'll be replacing soon any way. So of course I need to get some High flow filters to protect my investment, and I midas well get a FPR while I'm at it. And I guess change all the lines and fittings.

Man that stuff adds up fast. LOL

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the real questions is when do you stop. When I was figuring out this swap I thought the Walbro 255' date=' and some new lines would be all I needed. And then the monster jumped out and said "for a few more dollars you can the Aeromotive A1000, and it will be the last pump you need to get!" So I said great idea, I hate wasting money on something that I'll be replacing soon any way. So of course I need to get some High flow filters to protect my investment, and I midas well get a FPR while I'm at it. And I guess change all the lines and fittings.

Man that stuff adds up fast. LOL[/quote']

Yeah I def feel you on that one...more of the while im at it disease.

I want to keep the stock filler location. And from what I've seen most if not all of the cells fill in the middle of the tank. I would need to drop the cell pretty low to have enough clearance to run a filler neck. A fuel cell would be the simplest way to get it done, the way I want. Do you know of a way to run the filler from the stock location? The only examples I've seen run the tube through the cargo area, which I don't want. Another thing is that I also want to keep the stock gauges, and the GM sending units won't work with the Datsun fuel gauge.

Why dont you just keep your stock tank and modify it with a sump. i have seen several examples here on hybridz of this being done.

I'm new to welding, and my understanding that Al is a lot harder to weld on. Not to mention my second point is that I want to keep the stock gauge.

yeah aluminum is hard to weld on, i'm new to welding also. i'm only 16 so i'm in the same boat. but you won't get anywhere without trying, after you practice a little you'll soon realize that it's only hardest when you make it so... good luck

Since we're on the topic, what material is the stock 240Z gas tank made out of?

I'm thinking about welding some stainless steel bung adapters to the bottom and have AN lines just draw out of that.

Crap, I better search or else I'll get yelled at.

Oh yah BTW, no need posting another thread on the same topic...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108576

Since we're on the topic' date=' what material is the stock 240Z gas tank made out of?

I'm thinking about welding some stainless steel bung adapters to the bottom and have AN lines just draw out of that.

Crap, I better search or else I'll get yelled at.

[/quote']

Like Stony suggested get a sump. I was planning on doing that while I'm doing all the other mods. Aeromotive has a sweet one, but it's about $150. Or I can get a normal sump for about $70.

I know the tank is made out of sheet metal, and the gauge looks to be about 20 or 22.

Just an FYI, it's not legal in many US States to have that sump on the gas tank, with the hoses coming out of it.

I've ordered a "T.P.I. OPTION" in-tank fuel "trap" with pump, wiring, etc. to install in the "tall" side of the 73 240Z tank. It's ordered, but I don't have it yet. From their catalog:

FEATURES:

• Die stamped opening

• Stainless fuel pump stand

• Lock ring installation — with 'O' ring

• Easy fuel line hook up

• Easy electrical hook up

• New hi-pressure — hi-volume pump

• New filter

• Stainless fuel trap — prevents pump starvation

They've been building EFI tanks for cars for decades and assure me this will hold the fuel in the trap. I spoke with Don there and he says that the trap is a stainless can with a bottom to it, and a 1/4" slit from top to bottom. The fact that the return fuel dumps back into the trap helps keep it full also.

Anyway, I had it made so that it's about 9" tall overall, so that I can put a recess in the top of the tank to be able to clear the underside of the car. The wires and fuel lines come out of the top, so this will allow room (2" recess) for that stuff.

Although I can MIG weld, I'm considering brazing this thing in, or tack welding it and using a good gasoline safe sealant to do the sealing instead of relying on my welding or brazing skills.

Anyway, this might work out, I'll let you know how it works once installed. I had thought of using an external low pressure pump, surge tank, high pressure pump, but decided to simplify things and let the fuel cool the pump as well.

As far as venting, I was thinking of leaving one of the top vents open on the tank and running it to the filler hose. I WILL get rid of that vapor tank in the car - they all seem to leak a tiny bit and stink up the car. I have all new hoses in my Z, but it still stinks inside. Enough of that!

Like Stony suggested get a sump. I was planning on doing that while I'm doing all the other mods. Aeromotive has a sweet one' date=' but it's about $150. Or I can get a normal sump for about $70.

I know the tank is made out of sheet metal, and the gauge looks to be about 20 or 22.[/quote']

aei-18650_w.jpg

Is this the sucker here? How does it work, you weld the sucker onto the bottom of the stock fuel tank? (Click on photo)

Is this the sucker here? How does it work' date=' you weld the sucker onto the bottom of the stock fuel tank? [/quote']

You have to cut a hole in your tank, and then slide this puppy up in the hole. It designed for a Mustang tank, which has more of a slope in it than the Z.

The end with the holes in it should go in about 1-2", and the other side should be near flush. I'm sure it could be modified to work with the Z tank.

The in-tank module I refer to above involves cutting a hole in the top of the tank and welding it in there. This way you don't have hoses hanging down for johnny law to bother you about, and you have a swirl pot IN the tank, with a high-pressure pump being cooled by the fuel, and the fuel stays by the pump to keep your EFI out of fuel starvation.

looks pretty heavy to me. whats wrong with getting a muffler shop to fab you up some piping that would lead to the fuel cell? you could easily use some kind of scrap metal to let it hang low enough so that something like intercooler piping could fit in there. even the most basic of welders could fab that up.

edit: plus you could retain the stock fuel port like you originally wanted....

I think thats the way I'm going to go. I'm also thinking of welding in some baffles to keep the fuel from sloshing around. Since I'll have the tank apart any way.

I've got a good idea to baffle this guy now that I think of it... lemme do some photoshopping!

Okay, sorry about the drawings but I'm no Auto-Cad person...

Basically weld in a curved sheet like so (represented in black), with notches on the bottom (the black half moon looking things), so the fuel goes in, and less fuel goes out.

I don't know if the drawing makes sense.

Flap.jpg

The sheet that you weld in would look like this [imagine equally sized and spaced holes] (possibly with more holes on top)

Flap2.jpg