HybridZ

Ebay headers, JTR conversion, perfect fit

I chanced it and bought the Ebay chrome street rod headers. I believe several vendors are selling these now.

They fit perfect in the 260Z with angle plug Trick Flow heads, JTR mounts, etc..

I think I paid $75 shipped and they seem to be well made 1 5/8" with the thick 3/8" flange.

This is the type I used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-CHEVY-CHROME-HEAVY-DUTY-HUGGER-HEADERS-1-5-8-TUBES_W0QQitemZ8042254287QQcategoryZ33631QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The ebay headers work, but i've had issues with them. I had to dimple the driver side to clear the steering shaft and motot mount. The chrome discolors over time. Also, they loosen quite frequently. After being tired of retorquing them, i finally decided to get a set of Hookers. $80.00 more, but well worth it I can tell. The quality is way, way better. The gasket fits better, and they clear the steering shaft and motor mount without dimpling them. The only problem I have is spark plug clearance in the middles. Once I find the right plug, I know for a fact the extra money was well spent. You get what you pay for.

The ebay headers work, but i've had issues with them. I had to dimple the driver side to clear the steering shaft and motot mount. The chrome discolors over time. Also, they loosen quite frequently. After being tired of retorquing them, i finally decided to get a set of Hookers. $80.00 more, but well worth it I can tell. The quality is way, way better. The gasket fits better, and they clear the steering shaft and motor mount without dimpling them. The only problem I have is spark plug clearance in the middles. Once I find the right plug, I know for a fact the extra money was well spent. You get what you pay for.

header bolts are going to loosen period. I have had everything from flowtechs to Kooks custom headers and bolts loosen. I have found that the Stage 8 bolts with locking rings do great at controlling that BUT the lock rings are a PITA to work with in tight situations. As for fit well, that is just part of the gamble. If I have to dimple these to work then so be it. Im not out to make 1000hp or anything.

The problem with the Stage 8 lock bolts is that the ALUMINUM locking plate deforms and gets stuck on the fastener. They can be a real pain to remove after thousands of miles. I ended up destroying a bunch of them.

I think a better way to go is the Brezlin locking bolts.

BTW, the Sanderson headers that JTR sells (Very Cheap too!) don't use a gasket, but they do user ULTRA BLACK RTV. This works great - no leaks, even with regular non locking bolts!

Guest 73TPIZ
Not quite a perfect fit. I got the same ones and I had to use a wrench to put on a couple of the spark plugs. Also the chrome ones will turn into gold very soon.

I took an old spark plug socket, cut it down and welded it to an old wrench. I keep it in the Z. Seems to work pretty well. I need it for cyls 1,2,7,8 on my block huggers with angle plug heads.

Also, i take that 2" chrome tape from the hardware and wrap it around those corner cyls' boots. Seems to work well and cheaper than those high temp sleeves.

Take Care.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...