HybridZ

240, 60, 80 Z Aerodynamics

EMWHYR0HEN

So all we know is we need to experiment, spoilers and generators. The best would be some half-*** windtunnel to test it with some smoke. Maybe a garage with both ends open and a couple of really large floor fans would do? The seat of the pants summation isn't going to work. We all know that if we want it to work we will perceive it did so until proven wrong.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm agreeing with what ezzzzzzz is saying. The top of the car is acting like a wing, pulling the rear of the car up. So the S30 has no problem getting air to a rear spoiler. However, while helping with downforce, a rear spoiler doesn't significantly move the "fume cloud" away from the car. I've seen posts that state a whale tail helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem. And vortex generators would only aid already good adhesion, increasing the lift effect, which is what you want on an airplane wing, but not a car.

Getting the air to separate over the hatch would decrease lift and (hopefully) create turbulence behind the car, aiding in reduction of the fume cloud. This is evidently what Nissan did with the little bump above the hatch on the S130's, and we're not hearing fume complaints from S130 drivers, are we? Obviously this is oversimplified, but without a wind tunnel, it's all "shadetree aerodynamics".

Sorry I haven't done further yarn tests yet as I promised. I've had other issues, as well as getting ready for SEZ, to deal with. But stay tuned!

Redneck Wind Tunnel:

1.Find deserted highway.

2.ignite smoke bomb attached to car in strategic location (in front of windshield, on top of roof)

3.Drive real fast

4.Have buddy drive beside you while third buddy in passenger seat videos your car.

[This post is for entertainment purposes only. I accept no liability for anyone catching their car on fire, smokin' up a highway,etc., although I'd like to see the results :) ]

Redneck Wind Tunnel:

1.Find deserted highway.

2.ignite smoke bomb attached to car in strategic location (in front of windshield' date=' on top of roof)

3.Drive real fast

4.Have buddy drive beside you while third buddy in passenger seat videos your car.

[This post is for entertainment purposes only. I accept no liability for anyone catching their car on fire, smokin' up a highway,etc., although I'd like to see the results :) ]

5. Drive off the road, because you can't see anything. :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
Redneck Wind Tunnel:

1.Find deserted highway.

2.ignite smoke bomb attached to car in strategic location (in front of windshield' date=' on top of roof)

3.Drive real fast

4.Have buddy drive beside you while third buddy in passenger seat videos your car.[/quote']

Who needs a smoke bomb, just get a Z that smokes already.

Ahh, fond memories of my first Z - too bad I was more interested of not dying of smoke inhalation and not of aerodynamics.

• 4 years later...