HybridZ

overreving problems...

oinojo

alright i figured out my ignition problems....but now its something else. When setting my distributor, my carbs backfire...but when i advance it the engine raises in RPM but drastically... i find myself retarding it in fear or over revving the motor. This is getting rediculous and very tedious. Some ppl tell me it could be my cam timing but that still wouldnt explain the overreving. Also when it is overreving, i am not getting any backfiring problems.

Don't know the carb setup to well but with experiences with my 280, advance it forward until its starts stumble, from there back the advance a degree or so and then ajust by the throttle body. Don't know if this will help

It sounds like timing to me. Try what AK-Z suggested, advance the dist just enough to smooth out the idle, then back off on the throtle stop on the carbs to get the idle speed back down. Did you reove the distributer? You might be of a tooth.

or the distributer is on 180* the wrong way.

I thought that with having the dizzy 180 out, it won't even start. the dizzy won't even fit properly with the dizzy "shaft" 180ed. only way would be to from putting the plug wires in the wrong order, you can't even put the cap on backwards (rotated 180).

thats the thing i am using a timing light, but whenever im advancing the distributor the engine starts to race VERY high. Almost as if i am WOT. I would think i might have a pretty big vacumm leak somewhere on the manifold. Im going to remove the carb assembly today and retighten everything on the motor to make sure that isnt the case.

I thought that with having the dizzy 180 out, it won't even start. the dizzy won't even fit properly with the dizzy "shaft" 180ed. only way would be to from putting the plug wires in the wrong order, you can't even put the cap on backwards (rotated 180).

can you tell i have never pulled down a L series yet? heheh

last motor i rebuilt did run with it 180ed, but ran like a dog. the shaft on that thing was shaped (|) , or a Y shape from side on.

oh well. i am more of an RB person anyway.

Something is F'ed up on your linkage to the SU's or you have a piston stuck open on the SU's or something. Advancing timing WILL NOT cause the engine to go from 800 to 7000 rpm on a normally running engine. This convinces me that the two situations are not related. Figure out what is wrong with the carbs, fix that, turn the idle down if you need to, and set the timing.

Something is F'ed up on your linkage to the SU's or you have a piston stuck open on the SU's or something. Advancing timing WILL NOT cause the engine to go from 800 to 7000 rpm on a normally running engine. This convinces me that the two situations are not related. Figure out what is wrong with the carbs, fix that, turn the idle down if you need to, and set the timing.

I figured it would prbably be somthing wiht the carbs but didn't want to give any bad advice since I have never messed with SU carbs before.

Another thought! Is your distributor working properly? I had an experience with a single magnetic pick-up 280Z distributor I transplanted in my Z. Had similar issues, as you described, and what it turned out to be was....the centrifigul advance was just worn out. I had even replaced the advance plate that usually goes south, the shaft bushing were good, and I thought heck, this thing should be good! Wrong, the advance mechanism was flat worn out. I finally bit the bullet and installed a Mallory Uni-Lite.....engine has been running perfectly ever since!

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to Jmortensen. Your engine cannot be revving that high without a lot of manifold pressure. That has nothing to do with the ignition timing, fuel pressure, or your float chamber, except that when the timing is retarded far enough, the engine slows down in spite of the high manifold pressure. You could have a stuck throttle / something stuck open inside of your carbs, not restricting airflow at idle like it should be, as mentioned before. Track down this issue before worrying anymore about the timing.

Listen to Jmortensen. Your engine cannot be revving that high without a lot of manifold pressure. That has nothing to do with the ignition timing, fuel pressure, or your float chamber, except that when the timing is retarded far enough, the engine slows down in spite of the high manifold pressure. You could have a stuck throttle / something stuck open inside of your carbs, not restricting airflow at idle like it should be, as mentioned before. Track down this issue before worrying anymore about the timing.

sorry if im coming off as a newb... and i feel retarded because of what i found out. I checked my linkage again and it was way off. My the linkage was too short and so it caused my carbs to be 1/4-1/2 throttle. I lengthened the rod and so far has fixed my problem.

Thank you guys for you information. It was very informative and made some of my work painless. Im sorry to those who were fed up by my stubborness.