HybridZ

75 280z + ls1

I’m in the process of buying a 75 280Z and was going to do a v8 swap, I also have an opertunity to buy a 99 vette LS1 w/ T56 6spd, and my question is if anyone has done a swap with that engine and tranny, and pros and con, also how well if fits?

All I can say is that vette trany won't fit, it's built-in with the rear diff on those car's. You'll have to get a F-body(camero) trans. Do a search you'll find a TON of info. Oh ya , Welcome to Hybridz.:mrgreen: The first picture is a t56 from a f-body the second from a corvette.

I wont say it couldn't be done but the torque tube and rear end would have a huge benefit. I think you would have to retrofit the whole vette rear suspension in to make it work though. That would be a big project.

I think that Phantom used a torque tube on his yet retained the stock rear.

Here's a link to Johns Cars AKA BrokenKitty. The kit that Phantom's car was the prototype for. It states that you use a 98 CAMERO drivetrain. Your right Dalemax, any drivetrain can be installed, but would it be cost effective and easy to install? Take my advise, unless you have a huge budget or your a machinest/fabricator/engineer, I would not attempt to do a FULL drivetrain/suspension swap. Just my 2 cents.http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

I've always referred to it as a 'modified' torque tube. Technically it is a standard setup using the F body T56 and the Datsun R200 but the transmission and front differential mounts are replaced by a pair of channel iron sections that tie the rear of the transmssion to the front of the differential. It's a rather involved design that works very well but is enough more complex than the standard mounts that John chose to go the standard mount designs for his components making mine a one-off.

Personnally I would preffer to stay with the Fbody style T56. As it is, that T56 moves the CG of the car toward the rear wheels. The Corvette style would move it even more and make the car even more tail heavy.

• 4 years later...

I've always referred to it as a 'modified' torque tube. Technically it is a standard setup using the F body T56 and the Datsun R200 but the transmission and front differential mounts are replaced by a pair of channel iron sections that tie the rear of the transmssion to the front of the differential. It's a rather involved design that works very well but is enough more complex than the standard mounts that John chose to go the standard mount designs for his components making mine a one-off.

Personnally I would preffer to stay with the Fbody style T56. As it is, that T56 moves the CG of the car toward the rear wheels. The Corvette style would move it even more and make the car even more tail heavy.

Does JCI sell the torque tube set up? I'm looking to install a 605hp LS motor in my 1978 280Z. I have a 4 point roll cage already but I have been told that I need a torque tube or some sort of frame rail upgrades.

• 1 month later...

Does JCI sell the torque tube set up? I'm looking to install a 605hp LS motor in my 1978 280Z. I have a 4 point roll cage already but I have been told that I need a torque tube or some sort of frame rail upgrades.

You should research bad dog frame rails. There is tons of info on the forum about those.

You should research bad dog frame rails. There is tons of info on the forum about those.

I'm having the bad dog frame rails installed and have a 4 point rool cage already on the car. I was just wondering if that would be enough to withstand the 600ft/lb of torque or if I needed a torque tube.

This car is being built for shows and street driving, it will never see a track. Therefore it will never see any high rpm clutch dumps.

Edited by alainburon