HybridZ

Woohoo! I just picked up my L28et!

Well now your're complicating things. You can make 350hp without a full T4 with an internally gated turbo, but it's your decision. Also you will have to take the risk of welding a larger flange to cast. Clifton hasn't had a problem so far, but just something to think of. I decided not to do it. I just machined out the T3 housing instead. I am running an external wg though.

Yeah I agree, it is possible, and probably not extremely difficult with a t3/t04 and internal wastegate. I am just considering my options at this point, and my grandfather and a friend of his are really good at fabricating, machining and welding things (my grandfather works on classic cars as a hobby and has a '21 hudson and a couple other cars that are damn near impossible to buy parts for these days), I was going to try to weasel their aide in creating this part, because that would be where I have the difficulty. I also will employ his help for the exhaust piping and downpipe.

Helix112: now you're increasing my costs quite a bit. :) However UNFORTUNATELY!!!!!!! (i.e. you suck man! lol just kidding) You made a good point. I should use a BB style turbo, looking at the Garrett GT35/40R and GT42R, they both look like amazing turbos, except for the drastic price increase....

As far as the part though, the difference would just be the flange I put onto the spacer, I'd leave the exhaust manifold stock, but due do the price increase the Helix just gave me, some how I think I'll probably stick with the GT35R, but with the external wastegate design I have been thinking about from the above post.

Cam, you can get 350 from those 440's by running a tad more fuel pressure. JeffP went to 415 on 440cc injectors and a 4 bar fuel pressure setting at idle.

But you gotta alter the fuel delivery (read "standalone")...

Tony:

Yeah I was definately planning on running MSnS.

So based on that, I am already increasing my prices a bit by buying better parts and going a bit overboard on stuff that isn't ENTIRELY necessary (i.e. external wastegate). Would I be better off going with larger injectors? Or would I just be wasting my money? I mean, lets consider it this way. My goal is 350whp, which isn't that extreme of a goal, but I'm not on a tight timeline on this build, if I can get more power by just spending a tiny bit extra on injectors then that would of been a worthwhile investment.

I don't know, I'm pretty exhausted right now, so I hope that makes sense.

Your choices are fairly widely ranging with the garrett BB turbochargers

GT3582R, GT4088R, GT4294R, GT4202R.

The GT3582R will happily support 400rwkw (530rwhp), and will make usable boost by around 3500.

I wouldn't bother going bigger unless you are chasing some SERIOUS numbers at the strip. IMHO the sort of torque a GT35R can produce in a zed is bordering on useless on street tyres. I'm sure once JeffP opens his up a bit he'll agree, even more so given hes running the smaller 0.63 housing.

I'm very keen to see what TimZ's GT4294R equipped beast will do.

If you have access to fabrication skills, I would seriously contemplate making a proper exhaust, and intake manifold.

Best of luck,

Dave

The GT3582R will happily support 400rwkw (530rwhp)' date=' and will make usable boost by around 3500.

If you have access to fabrication skills, I would seriously contemplate making a proper exhaust, and intake manifold.[/quote']

Dave - I would love to have new exhaust and intake manifolds fabricated, but some how I think that would be asking too much. Well..... atleast for now. After its up and running I'll see what I can do for the next upgrade stage.

You keep trying to spend more of my money!?!?! kidding of course :P. But, with usable boost starting at 3500, would I be prudent spending some money on increasing the redline? Like blueprinting, balancing crank, porting and polishing, etc? Or would I be wasting money on this sort of thing? As I said, money isn't really a problem, it just means it will take longer before I get to install my dream engine, but there is definately something to be said for more instant gratification ... know what I mean? Where do you think it would be prudent to "draw the line" between necessary and "awww it would be nice"?

My redline is set to a whopping 6500 and I have a standard engine with the exception of ARP studs and a tiny upgraded cam. I personally dont' think you NEED more revs, but if you're there anyway I'd be going a 215-220 0.05" dur cam with valve springs to suit ( + the psi boost you plan on running ), and a balance would be nice.

Everything would be nice, but is not totally necessary I suppose. You could just wack it together as is and I'm sure you'd enjoy it. :)

Dave

Dave: HAHAHA OKOK, I get your point. I will talk to my local speed shop and see what certain things are gonna cost me and decide if it is worth it.

Thanks for all of your help, I've been learning a lot. I think I am almost ready to start considering purchasing parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow cool beans have fun. Lucky you got a 75 I just had to smog my 76 280ZT (bwahaha passed as good as newers cars!), have fun make sure you don't overcool the engine that's what made mine eat up 12 MPG. My engine kinda used to look like yours when I got it from some dude in Sacramento.

if you need any parts I got some

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/pts/142951937.html