HybridZ

Space Recon Plane

johnc

Well John, Is it likely they have come up with a new "TOY".....something that surpasses this beast? Or, are they just trying to make it look as though the project is dead...if you know what I mean....out-of-sight, out-of-mind!

Interesting, but with a few eyebrow raisers. C-5's have 6 digit tail numbers; first 2 digits being the year they were delivered. There are 2 "special" C-5's in existence, not 3, and they don't have "chipmonk cheeks". They were originally modified to carry an environmentally controlled container the exact size of the Space Shuttle cargo bay- approximately the dimensions stated in the article. The mods were not visible from the outside so that the USSR could not detect the special C-5's from the others. We think the first payload was the KKH11 spy satellite- it would have been the right time period (about 1987). They are in USAF inventory as C-5C's.

A modified Lockheed L-1011 has been used to carry a Pegasus missile to altitude for launch into space. Very similar concept- use the plane to do the initial heavy lifting.

The droop winged XB-70's were built to explore the concept of "compression lift". No. 1 is at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patt. I never knew there were parts for another. Cool. Makes me wonder if this is "Aurora". Thanks for the link John.