HybridZ

what to buy at the dealer?

olie05

I'm getting ready for a trip to florida in the z, and I want to make sure I get some parts that wont fail. Would it be worth the extra money to buy a few parts at the dealer? The parts i'm looking to buy are:

alternator/waterpump belt

thermostat

set of spark plugs and wires

possibly a distributor cap

How much of that can be purchased at the local parts store with little to no loss in quality? Also, are there any other things i should replace/check before going on such a long trip?

oh yeah, i'm changing the oil and filter before the trip.

I would carry:

Set of radiator and heater hoses

generic electric fuel pump, some fuel line and clamps

a roll of electrical wire, tape and snippers

a roll of bailing wire and duct tape (both good for misc. quick fixes)

Make sure you have a goos spare tire and jack that works and correct size lug wrench.

Couple of screwdrivers, a vise grip and an adj. wrench.

That should get you through the majority of stuff that could go wrong....

ok thanks for the replies! I have a toolbox, with metric wrenches, 7-19mm, sockets (mostly deep) from 10-24mm (with some sizes skipped) and I have an adjustable wrench, channel locks, a 3" extension, a 6" extension, Lug wrench, original wheel chock, original jack tools and jack. I will have a spare tire for the trip...

btw all the tools i listed above, I carry in my car all the time...

the question remains, which items should i buy at the dealership, and which should i buy at the local parts store?

As long as you stay away from the cheapest parts the auto store has you should be fine, in a lot of cases you can acctually get higher quality parts at the local parts store. All of that stuff is pretty common you should have multiple options no matter where you look. I'd probably stick with the nissan distributor cap, but that's just me.