HybridZ

Looking for a dam...

Initial Z

I have been looking around at different air dams for early Zs and have seen a few that I like but I would like to get one that not only looks good (keeping with early 70s sports car look ie, hold the rice) but will also provide better aerodynamics and sufficient air flow for a big intercooler. From what I hear the G nose is where its at for good aerodynamics but unfortunately for me I don't really like that look. Also I have seen some air dams with openings in them for air flow to the front breaks, how well dose this work and is it really going to improve break performance on a car that is going to spend most of its time on the street with the occasional autox or track event?

sorry if this has been covered, I looked before posting.

oh yea, my car is a 73 if that matters.

thanks,

nate

I like the type 3 FG airdam that motorsport sells... but it would have to be easily removable for me to use it.. I could not get my car on and off the trailer with that air dam.

I am using urethane with a modified splitter... I have used 2 of these and I am impressed with their toughness....

Yea I know this sight.

I was hoping to get some info on the aerodynamic performance of difarent dams. Also, thoughts on the effectivenes of the break vents that are on some of the dams. To me the use of a dam seems to be nesesity for creating a more stable car at speeds of 80mph+, but they are also adding more weight to the car thats out past the front wheals so it better be as effective as possable.

Just putting a hole in the air dam isn't going to do much to cool the brakes. Connecting a vent hose to the air dam and running it to the brakes will make a difference. But it's likely to get torn off on the street.

Couple things I don't like about the common Z air dams:

1. They don't fully cover the front tire. Ideally you'd like the air dam to protrude farther than the tire. This is because they follow the shape of the front fender, but it still bugs me. The only one I've seen that does cover the tire is Reaction Research's air dam for the Subtle Z kit, and I'm 99% sure it doesn't fit a stock fender.

2. They leave a GIGANTIC hole between the air dam and the radiator core support. Since the radiator provides some resistance to airflow, that huge hole essentially shovels air under the car at speed. Not as bad as having no air dam, but in order to make it really work that big hole needs to be closed up with some sheet aluminum or fiberglass.

3. They flex at high speeds. EVERY Z air dam I've ever seen has flexed at high speed. The urethane ones bow down in the middle. Mine (see sig pic) flexes back, and the rubber used to flap up underneath the car. After a competitor of mine showed me that picture, I later changed the rubber skirt to plastic lawn edging and that seemed to fix the second problem, but it still flexed back in the middle. Can be fixed by bracing from the core support to the air dam.

4. Most are too high off the ground. If you really want it to work it has to be close to the ground. The closer the better. If you end up with a fiberglass one, I'd put a skirt on it, and again, make sure the skirt doesn't flex at high speeds.

Thanks jmortensen! Thats the kind of info I was looking for. I like the look of the 3 Port Style by Kaminari and it seemd to have good coverage but its kinda hard to tell how low it goes from the photo. If somone can direct me to a better pick of this dam instaled that would be good.

Thanks jmortensen! Thats the kind of info I was looking for. I like the look of the 3 Port Style by Kaminari and it seemd to have good coverage but its kinda hard to tell how low it goes from the photo. If somone can direct me to a better pick of this dam instaled that would be good.
As you can tell, my exterior is far from finished...but here's a pic of the Kaminari installed.

Z_engine_002.jpg

Here's a link to Jason's web site that uses this air dam on his car:

http://www.geocities.com/jasonparuta/

Hey when I was shopping for dams I logged on to the Kaminari site and it states in the first gen area, that they no longer offer products for the 70-78 models. Am I missing something?

The MSA dam that I have is not exactly what I wanted and is slatted to be hacked on. A couple of weeks and she goes to paint. I would like to consider the Kaminari. They have a lot of different options that seems to match the old school theam better.

Many thanks!

Hey when I was shopping for dams I logged on to the Kaminari site and it states in the first gen area' date=' that they no longer offer products for the 70-78 models. Am I missing something?

The MSA dam that I have is not exactly what I wanted and is slatted to be hacked on. A couple of weeks and she goes to paint. I would like to consider the Kaminari. They have a lot of different options that seems to match the old school theam better.

Many thanks![/quote']When I was looking around I saw that information as well. Although Kaminari no longer sells products for the 70-78 models, they do still produce them for MSA...at least that's what MSA told me. Mine appears to be from Kaminari,...it specifically has their company information on a piece of paper laminated into the dam so that you can read it from the back.

By the way, I think it is a high quality piece; and MSA told me that it is a higher quality part than the other air dams they carry.

That makes sense.

I kept seeing Kaminari dams pop up on recent post and was wondering where they were comming from.

Thanks for the info Bartman!

When you going to paint? Can't wait to see the "Dam" thing!

Many thanks!

As soon as I finish with my AC install I'll start working on the exterior.

Somebody makes - or used to make - lights specifically to fit in that 'dam' thing. I'd be interesting in finding a set and getting them installed.

Yea I definatly like the look of that dam, although I think I would change the rectangular light hole to a round hole. Making the round hole about half that big and use the rest of the space for a break cooling duct. Obviously it would take some custome glass work to do it but I think that would look good. I wounder if there is some one out there with pics of a Z with this dam and the rivit-on fender flears? Thats the look I think I want. Although I'm not sure if I would blend the fenders into the body or not? Any way, it's looking good Bartman cant wate to see it with paint!

by the way check out my thread about my Z

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=618494#post618494