HybridZ

Pressure plate question:

mtcookson

This could potentially be a stupid question but I've never heard nor read anything about this particular subject before.

Can a pressure plate be resurfaced like a flywheel can?

Reason I ask is because a 300ZX Turbo I have has a SPEC stage 3 on it but the disc is pretty worn down. Its quite a bit overkill for this car as I'm not going to put a lot of power out of it since I'm going to sell it. Anyways, I'm wanting to do a sort of hybrid setup using the SPEC pressure plate (if it has more holding power than stock, as it should) and using a stock clutch disc. Should hold more power than stock and still retain good street manners.

Anyone know whether or not this is possible and safe to do? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Why do you need to resurface the pp? Is it warped? The mating surface is attached to springs, so I don't think it would be possible to resurface it on a lathe.

If the thing is not warped just reuse it. I've reused the pp quite a few times. You can just slap it in there, or if it was abused in it's previous life, you might just hit it with a angle grinder with a sanding pad just to scuff up the surface (lightly, don't want to cause a problem, just break the glaze if there is any).

I do the same thing on rotors BTW. No need to turn rotors every time you change pads either.

The pressure plate should not be resurfaced. It isn't a matter of whether or not it can be done, but a matter of what your end result would be. Any amount that you take off of the pressure plate surface removes spring force applied by the pressure place. The force applied by the pressure plate is a spring force, so if you have to compress the spring less, you get less force.