HybridZ

what's it take to make a 700r4 hold up

With all of the above said, would it not be better to simply run a manual transmission? Personally, I have never had an overdrive transmission behind an sbc, I've only had 350th transmissions. I do have a 700 sitting in my garage which will hold up to the mild 350 in my truck (if I ever put it in there), but for my car I've been trying to figure out whether or not to get a 200-4r or a T56 (or just leave it the same, it has a well built 350th and I don't take it more than a few miles at a time because this town isn't very big). From what I've read the T56 is pretty reliable in stock form. Is that true or are there major mods that need to be done to it as well?

T56 is fairly tough as far as torque capacity, but in my experience a manual transmission is usually broken by rough shifting...

You can take most of them and put quite a bit of power through them, even the notoriously weak ones, but when you start shifting hard under power, stuff breaks.

Or if you have wheel hop, sudden hookup, etc.

I have been running a 700R4 Bowtie Overdrive Level 2 (2500 rpm stallspeed)in an 83 ZX for over 2 years with an honest 430 HP and Torque. Other than the short first gear, I like the trans a lot. I did have a short/bad experience with my first 700R4 the was supposedly "built" to handle the torque/HP. I would have definitely considereded a 200, but had already had the 700R4 trans mount and driveshaft so I elected to go to a better 700R4. I'm sure you guys are right about being better/stronger transmissions out there, but it works fine in my application. Having said that, I'd have to clarifty my use and the fact that the 245X60X15 BFG radial TA tires light up pretty easily, so there isn't a lot of stress on the other drivetrain components.

I too have a 700r4.The first build,although they put the good parts in,only lasted 1000 miles and never shifted right(slipping).I had a more knowledgeable builder redo it.He told me the most important thing to make a 700 last after putting in the upgraded parts was to modify the valve body and jack the fluid pressures WAY up.The 1st builder used good parts,but no mods to the valve body.I drive this car pretty hard(as seen at all the SEZS events),with better than 400hp plus nitrous,and have had no more problems.I use drag radials and have done many 1.7x 60 ft. times on the open 3.55 gear.I just got the 3.70LSD installed last week and am anxious to see what it does next.I expect a slight improvement in 60 ft with a GREAT improvement in consistency(sp?).I also expect it to put more stress on the trans. I use a PTC 11" 2700 stall converter by the way.I am trying not to break anything before SEZS so am taking it easy for now but plan on running it hard in Reynolds.Don't want all you 6 cyl. guys to make us V8's look bad....

My advice about BTO mainly pertains to the 200-4R. I know they are not doing what a 200 needs to live and for the money there are better vendors.

I've heard some horror stories about their 700's but that is the nature of the beast with that trans...

What I've heard is that when you have a problem, they become hard to deal with or even get in touch with...

I installed one of their 700's for a customer yeas ago and he was happy with it...

Their 700's are probably a decent unit.

If you choose a 200 look elsewhere.