HybridZ

Sub Frame connectors and 10 point cage.

Guest iamjackal

Have a carefull look at the pillars (between the hatch and the little 1/4 windows). The first place the unibody begins to show stress in at the joins there. You will begin to see very fine cracks appearing in the paint.

Tim

ok... now i need to figure out how to do it... do the 8 point roll bars from S&W come welded? I'm still not sure what a sub frame connecter is..is it the things on the floor that go threw the fire wall, or do the just get welded to the passenger compatment side of the firewall?. finally got it going good and now im afraid to jump on it :cry: for fear of doing harm to the body and frame. This z is pretty nice and was garaged from 1986 till now and is still garaged and hate to mess it up.. i need help

The roll cage kit from S&W is exactly that: a kit. Needs to be welded together and into the car. Takes a bit of cutting of the tubes for a perfect fit. Look on my site for pictures of the subframe connectors. Another way to think of subframe connectors is: Frame rails, from the front 'subframe' to the 'rear subframe'.

Tim

ok thanks...now i see. Does the front (the part not shown in your pic) go up to the frame rail in the front and stop and is it welded to that? do u have picks of that? did you make your own or arte these the frame rail connectors S&W sells?

do you think its possible to instasll the 8 piont roll bar from S&W with the interior and dash in the car? I see from your web sit your interior was out when you installed your roll bar... thanks for helping, i know this is a alot of :?:

No one makes the subframe connectors, but they are easy enough to fab up. They are welded the entire length of the body, on both sides.

As for welding in the rollcage, it's possible, but you would have to remove the seats, carpetting and all of the rubber undercoating, at a minimum. Then you would need to protect your plastic panels from welding sparks and grinding sparks. You could leave the dash in place, but I would recommend removing EVERYTHING else.

Tim

not sure what all this means.

Means you'd better reinforce your unibody before it starts cracking!!! :D

Tim

Exactly, even 67-69 Camaros have problems, often at the rear window, as well as windows not closing.

If a car was made to handle ~130 HP it isn't going to like 300+

yes this is true... lets say with my stock crate motor with the bolt on stuff I am 250 hp...maybe more maybe less I dont know.

I already have the strut tower (msa) braces front and back, If I ad sub frame connectors will I be Ok? Or will I also need the 8 point roll bar also?

yes this is true... lets say with my stock crate motor with the bolt on stuff I am 250 hp...maybe more maybe less I dont know.

I already have the strut tower (msa) braces front and back' date=' If I ad sub frame connectors will I be Ok? Or will I also need the 8 point roll bar also?[/quote']

Front and rear braces and subframe connectors will be fine. If you want a little extra insurance, get the bolt in roll BAR from MSA.

Tim

250 crank HP is about a bone stock cheapest crage 350 around isn't it? I seem to remember something around the 245HP mark when I fried my Pontiac 400 years ago.

Subframes should help, but I'd go for a rollbar or cage regardless, but I'm anal and I road race, so I "need" it.

i'm not sure how much the goodwrench 350 is putting out, but its does get up and shit a little bit :D

does the msa roll bar do much to stiffin it up?

I am not sure I can weld upside down... I can barely weld right side up. Plus all I have is a arc welder... quess this is a good excuse to buy a mig :wink:

Exactly what size steel tube is used for the sub frame connectors? please be specific because I dont know anything about steel...thanks

Bob