HybridZ

Want to get this straight.....

FEnatic

Looking at using the Ford EDIS setup on my turbo project, I went through the search posts and found no definate answer. Does the MS1 v3.0 run the EDIS setup? I know the MS2 does. From what I read, the MS1 will send it a signal and the EDIS will spark the plugs, is this right? I'm not much of an elctronics guy, more mechanical. Thanks for the help.

• Administrators

YES!!!!!! V-3.0 on MS-1 will run EDIS! You will need Mega Squirt & Spark Extra programming and Mega Tune to take advantage of the EIDS. Even V-2.2 runs EDIS. We are currently setting up TWO MS-1 systems running EDIS on Datsuns. One is a MS1 V2.2 which is currently running EDIS in “spark only” config with Dual SU’s for induction in a Datsun 510, (WOW what a difference EDIS made over the OE Electronic Dizzy). The other project is myF-prepared SCCA Solo-II Z car running MS1 V. 3.0 and EDIS.

Here are two threads that you should go over concerning the EDIS and Z cars…

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103781

This thread has some good info and pics of the EDIS Test bench in operation...

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=14920

The V32 board will support EDIS w/o the Extra code.

If you don't need the following features, I would go with MSII:

Injector Staging

Overboost Protection

Decel Enrichment

Coolant temp tiiming advance

Idle temp timing retard

Traction Control

Over Run Fuel Cut

AfterStart Enrichments

Cranking Priming Settings

RPM based fuel enrichment

I am seriously considering going w/MSII for my '83 ZXT because I haven't come across enough reasons that MSI would outperform the MSII with the large injectors I am planning on using....

I am of course open to all arguements that would disabuse me of this inclination...

• Administrators

We are considering MS-II for one of our customers N/A L-28 powered ’73 Z for similar reasons. He won’t need any of those extra goodies yet he does want EDIS, and I’m sure the higher resolution of control that MS-II brings to the table vs MS-1, won’t hurt drivability….

So far I have not found that I need anything that MS1 can't provide. I'm using a V3 mainboard for my supercharged L28 EDIS project. I plan on using the basic MS features with EDIS and rev limit. I may use the water injection feature too.

The only thing I know of that MSII provides and Extra MSI does not is

GM idle air control (stepper IAC)

Extra MSI only does FORD pulse width modulation idle control.

It would be nice to have the stepper control, but I want NOS injector staging, water injection control, and knock detection that the Extra MSI provides for my current projects.

Thats right, I said NOS, might as well play with everything :)

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to decide between ms1v3 and ms2v3.

As I understand it I need the ms2v3 to have coil per plug ,and then I only need 1 crank sensor.

Or can you only do this with eMS pro spectre version,this kit only comes built for $795.00.

Thanks

Nitrous injection and water injection at the same time can turn into ice injection, way too easily.

The eMS-Pro can fire six cylinders in wasted spark. They do need external ignitors. The guys at Spectre are partial to LS1 coils - they have built in ignitors and can work great in wasted spark mode.

Thanks guys

I have been reading a lot of MS threads and it seems to me that most people would rather the MS1 not the MS2.I was wondering why when the MS2 has 3 times the processing speed,surely if it gets the backing of more experienced users it has the potential to be a better ecu than MS1.

When you are talking about building a car, $100.00 odd on managment is more of an investment isnt it.

Do you concider that the quicker speed memory gives advantages in smoothness etc.

Or say for example ,you run knock sensing retard .Would doing the math 3 times faster not be a great advantage, reading and responding to the input quicker.

I just think that if MS2 gets the kind of support MS1 gets it could be hugely better than MS1, with that processing speed.

Right now the MS-I processor has more than enough cycles to handle everything you can do with extra code. The only time I find where the processor runs out of cycles is when burning a new map. Not always, but sometimes you will get a stumble or two when loading a new map.

Now if MS-II could do full sequential fuel and spark, and your project had a redline of 12K RPM, you could use the additional processing speed. But where the MS-II extra does most everything that MS-I extra does, there really isn't a need. Even with large injectors and small opening times, it is not the processor that can't keep up, it is the injectors.