HybridZ

My car gets ~25mpg!!!

olie05

25 mpg is a big relief because i thought it was getting around 20mpg.

anyways, before everyone jumps all over this saying "you're speedometer is not perfect" and such and such... let me explain i arrived at this number.

I filled up the tank (until the first click), reset the odometer and drove to austin. Got back to houston filled up the tank and took the number of miles traveled divided by the number of gallons consumed.

but wait theres more!!!

Me and my friend drove side by side in order to match speeds and on his late model altima (with a more precise speedometer than mine) he was holding a steady 35mph while i was holding a steady 32 mph. The orignial number i came up with was in the 24mpg range... and then i corrected it for his speedometer by multiplying it by 35/32...

Any arguments on the validity of my numbers? (i'm sure there are!!!)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the speedometer difference has no impact on increasing/decreasing your mileage. Remember, the method we use to calculate mileage is an average. If you do mostly city driving and got that, I would say thats pretty awesome. If you did mostly Highway driving, then I would say thats ok.

If we get 19 city, 25 highway, That would average out to 22mpg, and if you filled it with 18 gallons and went 399 miles, you would get 22mpg.

I run mine hard sometimes, I usually average 19-21mpg.

2cents

Correct me if I am wrong' date=' but the speedometer difference has no impact on increasing/decreasing your mileage. Remember, the method we use to calculate mileage is an average. If you do mostly city driving and got that, I would say thats pretty awesome. If you did mostly Highway driving, then I would say thats ok.

If we get 19 city, 25 highway, That would average out to 22mpg, and if you filled it with 18 gallons and went 399 miles, you would get 22mpg.

I run mine hard sometimes, I usually average 19-21mpg.

2cents[/quote']

OK you're wrong, so I'll correct you :D

If you are using the odometer in that car, it does have an impact. You are baseing your MPG off a known figure that is off to begin with.

Guest 73TPIZ

If you have an odometer, check it against the mile markers on the freeway. Longer runs are better (>10mi), just in case the state has one a few feet out of sync because of an obstruction (offramp, overpass, etc). Example, your odometer says 10.7 miles after the state's 10 miles. Then you're running 6.54% off. ( [10/10.7]X100=93.46%). So your odometer would say 400 miles on a tank but you really only traveled 373.84 miles.

If you don't have an odometer, drive steadily at 60mph and see if you click off mile markers every 60secs exactly. If not, see which way you're off. Example. Mile marker every 57 secs means your speedo is saying 60 mph but you're really running 63.157 mph ([60sec/57sec]X60mph), or ~5% off.

Found my truck with low profiles to be 7.2% off and my stock CRX to be .3% off.

Hope this helps.

later,