HybridZ

Hong Kong, A Shoppers Paradise (Photos)

Stealth-Z

The wrecking yard trip, er a wife visit, is now over. Everything is packed on a pallet and in a warehouse. The ship leaves on March 20th. The total take:

RB26DETT Motor $1000HKD ($130USD) Needs rebuild

RB25DET 5-Speed Transmission $1500HKD ($196USD)

5 R32 GTR Wheels $1500HKD ($196USD)

R34 GTS Rear Wind $500HKD ($65USD)

R33 GTR Front Seats, SARD Blow Off Valve, Greddy Blow Off Valve, Veilside Boost Guage and Blitz Boost Gauge $1500HKD ($196USD)

Total $783USD

bovboostgauges.jpg

Shipping:

Total weight was around 500Kg (1100Lbs). Volume was 2.538 Cubic Meters

Pick-up, port and document fees $1680HKD ($219USD)

Ocean Freight charge $203USD

Oakland, CA Port fees $105USD

Custom's Fees: Yet to be determined but will not be much. Less than $100USD

Truck Freight from Oakland to my house in Sacramento ~$215USD plus fuel surcharge.

Total Shipping charges $842USD

Current total charges for everything:$1625USD

All in all I think everything was worth the cost to ship back here to the US. Plus I had a great time searching around for everything.

If you wouldn't mind, could you possibly give a short tutorial on international shipping for the uninformed among us?I have family in Australia and thought that if I could line up the parts, I could have my uncle pick them up from the salvage yard and have it shipped back to Los Angeles. Couldn't I just have a motor and tranny crated up and dropped off at the UPS store in Sydney for shipment? Please share.

Guest 2slo4u

Wow, ultra cheap. I have a friend who goes to HK, taipei, etc looking for subaru stuff, I had no idea those parts went for so little us dollars, and the shipping doesn't seem that bad for how much you will save overall. Amazing how much those jokers on egay must make for complete longblocks and transmissions, huh.

Wow, ultra cheap. I have a friend who goes to HK, taipei, etc looking for subaru stuff, I had no idea those parts went for so little us dollars, and the shipping doesn't seem that bad for how much you will save overall. Amazing how much those jokers on egay must make for complete longblocks and transmissions, huh.

There is a lot of Subaru stuff there. I saw several Subaru WRX's. Prices did vary from yard to yard.

One quoted me $3000 in U.S. Dollars for an RB25DET with an automatic in a wrecked 4-door Skyline. The front end was wrecked pretty bad to.

My pallet will be arriving in Oakland the 1st or 2nd of April. Once everything is in my posession, I will post a complete run down of the cost's and procedures.

HAHA im in the Air Force and ran a large support section for an aircraft maint squadron. Since i had the room... i brought back my motor and tranny along with alot of other stuff in the containers coming back from okinawa. didnt cost me a dime :>

Guest Flippy02
if it was that easy I would have done it a couple of times while I was in Japan, Honk Kong and Australia.

i've heard of guys transporting motorcycle, bicycles, and even cars, on the ships, i don't think it'd be different with a pallett, but i guess you'd have to be in the position to do so

• 2 weeks later...

My pallet was delivered today. Everything arrived intact. Here is a link to a short write up about how I shipped everything. The total cost of shipping came out to $890.52. Everything was purchased for $704.00. It was definetly a learning experience.

http://www.fairladyzg.com/pdf/import.doc

I spent part of the afternoon taking apart the motor. So far there are no visible problems. Under the valve covers look clean. Some water got into a few cylinders from sitting outside. The intake ports were left open to the elements. The cylinders are not corroded or pited. Suprisingly the crank gear slid off with minimal effort. This weekend I hope to have the sump off.

i've heard of guys transporting motorcycle, bicycles, and even cars, on the ships, i don't think it'd be different with a pallett, but i guess you'd have to be in the position to do so

When you get station oversea you can have all that stuff shipped with your hose furniture and stuff but there is a catch. for example, if you want to get a Skyline shipped you have to remove the motor. then it will not be a car it will be conside parts. You can still ship both of them but not installed. As stuff being shipped in ships, I never heard of that in my 11 years in the Navy.

When you get station oversea you can have all that stuff shipped with your hose furniture and stuff but there is a catch. for example, if you want to get a Skyline shipped you have to remove the motor. then it will not be a car it will be conside parts. You can still ship both of them but not installed. As stuff being shipped in ships, I never heard of that in my 11 years in the Navy.

There is or was a "Space Available" program years ago. My friend shipped a second car from Okinawa in the late 80's. We were both Air Force at the time.

I shipped back a lot of parts in my house hold furniture space alotment. One guy I knew did stuff a complete motorcycle in a crate.

On another note, I have disassembled the RB26. It turns out not to be an R32. Upon removing the oil pump I discovered it is actually an R33. No spun bearings or anything obviously wrong with the internals. Definetly happy with the findings.