HybridZ

pcv?

nategdizzle

hey guys ive been working polishing the outside of my intake manifold and shaving all the bungs i dont need flat with the rest of the intake and am going to weld them shut. i was wondering if i need to leave the pcv or not. im not sure if it would overheat my engine or not if i took it out

thanks

PCV vents crankcase pressure. If you plug it the block can't release it's internal pressure, so it will vent to the weakest area, which is usually the seals and the valve cover gasket. You NEED the PCV. Whether you vent to atmosphere or route it to the intake, that's a different argument. Do a search and you'll find some different options.

Just run a vent tube to a catch can, don't bother with a valve. In theory the bigger the tube is the better as you don't want pressure inside the crankcase. You might want to check if smog is going to be an issue for you in Iowa, if you saw that CHP video the other day you know they don't like vented crankcases in CA.

The PCV valve was designed to burn the blow by oil and gas from your pistons into the crankcase. It allows the intake to draw the air from the crankcase into the combustion chambers. If you simply plug it at the manifold you should not have any problems in performance that I have ever heard of. If you plug the other end at the case under the front of the manifolds, that should not be to much issue either. However, if you do the only vent in the engine now is the breather on the Cam cover and you will blow out air, and oil, and gas fumes, and any other crap in your engine. If you plu that, your gaskets and seals will start oozing.

If you are going to vent to air, use the pipe under the front of the manifolds becasue there is a pack of screens in the block that seperate the oil from the air. (you did put those screens back during yur rebuild, diidn't you?) thats why there is a bulge on the front, left side of the block.

Let us know what you do.

Paul

smog isn't an issue in iowa so im not worried about that, but if i went without a pcv and still ran a tube from the crankcase to the mainfold wouldn't i be putting my turbo boost into the crankcase and that is no good, i may be mistaken though. also i dont know if i want to plug it altogether i think it would be better if the crankcase was able to breath. i do like daw's suggestion of venting in the header colletor tube. would you know a way that i could get that to work on my turbodownpipe maybe.

by the way guys if it wasnt for this website i wouldn't know half as much as i do now about Z's. the first month after i bought my car i was going crazy trying to figure out what setup was the best and how i should go about doing certain things and then i found this place and everything is really coming together well.

thanks vbmenu_register("postmenu_623254", true);

The turbo and the PCV into the intake manifold should not be a big problem becuse the PCV is designed to close in the event of a backfire in the intake manifold. Most repair manuals have a cross section of a PCV valve. The valve is spring loaded to force it closed. The vacuum in the intake manifold pulls it open and any pressure in the manifold will close the valve.

I agree with you that venting to the exhaust collector sounds like a brilliant idea. If it is angled is should draw a slight vacuum and let all that crud burn in the exhaust pipe. Installing a PCV valve in line (far away from heat) Would prevent any pressure getting into the engine. If you start acuumulating oil and junk near your engine vent (remember you need to have a vent to get flow through the crank case and into the exhaust) you know t is not drawing enough vacuum.

Let us know how it works?

Paul