HybridZ

ZX CV half shafts - which ones?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm (still) looking to do the CV half shaft mod and (still) having trouble finding some (any!) good shafts. I saw a car in a wreckers yard this weekend, which had CV shafts in it. Now, the car was a manual 1980 non-turbo 280ZX. Are these shafts the same as the 82-83 ZXT? And if not, does anyone know if they're the right dimensions, and strong enuf?

Thanks again.

The non-turbo 280ZX halfshafts are just like the 240-280Z ones - they have U-joints.

The 82-83 280ZX Turbo halfshafts are the only 280ZX halfshafts that have CV joints, and look very different.

If you saw CV shafts in a non-turbo car, I guess the PO swapped them in along with the 280ZXT companion flanges.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Guest Anonymous

mmmm.....interesting. Two possibilities I guess; as you say the PO has done the swap (altho car didn't look like it'd had money spent on it, pretty standard, pretty stuffed) or the Australian models had a different spec, for some strange reason...

OK I'll go have another look. Hope I just didn't look carefully enuf, and it has U joints... Thanks again!

European spec non-turbo ZX cars did come with CV axles in them. That was an issue of debate as the CVs run smoother and help the car ride better at higher (Read: Autobohn) speeds.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Ahhhh! I was also thinking they may have specified them here coz the Aust. cars had SLIGHTLY more power - in 1980, we only had leaded fuel and of course no cat. converters (cats only came here in 1986). So Nissan may have decided to err on the side of safety...

OK I'll DEFINITLY go have another look. Thanks gents!

Guest Anonymous

While scouring the local yards I've seen c.v. shafts in several n/a 280zx's. Most of the cars have r180 diffs but the 2+2's have the c.v.'s & r200's. The 2+2's shafts look indentical to the turbos. The axles on the r180 equiped are different. I thought I'd let you know what I've seen out there.

Glenn