HybridZ

rears

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

right now i am in a "collection of parts" stage before i do the v8 swap. i was just wondering what kind of rear everyone has. i have heard that a stock z rear can take about 400hp and anything beyond that is asking for trouble. I plan to have a 500hp 350 with about a 300hp nos system. what do you guys recomend? has anyone ever heard of or tried to use a corvette rear? i heard that independant suspension hooks up good. thanks

Shannon,

What are you intending to do with the car? Obviously you are gonna drag race it some, but is it gonna be a street car? Seems like 500HP +300 shot of nitros is a bit high. If you are focused on drag racing, then get a 12bolt chevy or Ford 9Inch rear, but be prepared.... It will cost a bunch to put one in correctly.

I personally am using a 1988300zxT rear with LSD and 3:7 gears in my 500+ HP 383 stroker.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Shannon, I think that an R200 datsun diff.

is pretty damn tuff, its the ujounts and

half shafts that may give you the most of

your problems. If your planning on spraying

your 500+ hp motor with a big shot I strongly suggest the you go with a solid rear axle. With that king of HP any racetrack will ask you to leave after your first pass with the independent rear end.

And you better put in a good cage as well

Myron

Guest Locutus

How can I find out which rear end I have. Its a 79 280ZX with a 5spd manual. I was planning on replacing all my ujoints. Anything else I should replace while I got the car up.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I've read that anything over 450hp is well beyond any Datsun gear. I'm going to be running around 425hp in my 240Z and am installing a full spaceframe subframe, integrated rollbar, and a Ford 9" posi rear. I'm straying from the pack after this point because I'm keeping my IRS by installing Corvette half shafts with Ford input ends. It will then connect to the datsun rear struts with modified stub shafts. This will be a beefy system that will be able to handle anything I will throw at it. With 800+hp at your disposal you should consider nothing less than a solid ford 9" rear. I'm assuming this will be a "dragstrip only" car...if I'm correct in that assumption than I suggest installing a spool since any spider gears on any differential will also explode spontaneously. Good luck...this is definately a crazy proposition...just the way we like it here!!!!

SpencZ

Shannon, I'm not sure which car you have (and by that I mean which stub axles (240/early-260 or late-260/280) because the earlier ones are a bit more prone to break with lots of torque, big sticky tires and clutch drops. The later stub axle gives a little more strength. BTW, the 280ZXT stub axles are the same size where they usually break, at the transition from the splines to the bearing race surface.

Jim Biondo is using C3 Vette stub axles, stock vette bearings and custom outer race spacers to put a stout aftermarket billet piece in the stock hub carrier.

BTW, Jim met a guy down in the southeast US somewhere that has a 700 hp Supra Turbo engine and tranny in a 240Z. He has been having trouble with the CV halfshafts. Seems the ball bearings in the tripod joints are trying to force their way through the outer tulip casing on the inner CV shaft joint. Jim is considering a bolt-on reinforcing band or having them carbon fiber wrapped on a filament winding maching to stiffen this area on his car, although he hasn't seen the problem with only 550 hp wink.gif.

Man, there's always a weak link if you keep upping the power smile.gif!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Guest Anonymous

Shannon,

I've made a few posts on the same subject recently. I'm starting a drag Z project very soon. I will be using a ford 9" w/ powerglide tranny (4.56 gears I think) with a 383 stroker. From what everyone says this will be a strong combo. If you want to read the post "Brute Speed Z Project" it might help a little bit..

Thom

• 6 months later...

Cyind, please give us the details of the Vette rear in your car, how it was done, etc. I know there was a place down that way it Texas years ago (Conversion Concepts?) that had a catalog where they said they were working on a Vette rear end swap into the early Z. Are you affiliated with that bunch?

Thanks,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -