HybridZ

Turbo advise for a carbed SBC

After seeing this articale in comp cams website. http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=1941078669I got to thinking, which is bad for me, are there any websites that you guys know that would give me the basics on installing a custom turbo kit on a carbed motor? Or is there a "HOW TO" book that teach the layman how to do this stuff. I never really thought about turbo's before and I have no idea what some of the terms mean. I've always been a normally aspired kind of guy. Grumpy, Scotty,anyone ? Please advise. Thanks guys.

Any more? I like to get as much info as possible.

Then there is: Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost".

If you are going turboV8, I'll loan you both the Bell and Macginnis books. You can pick them up when you bring my headers back...since you won't need them for a turbo application. Anything for more turboV8 Z's.:mrgreen:

Hanns

Thanks Hanns, I don't know why I didn't think of PMing you for advise:oops: ? LIke I said, it's dangerous for me to think!! I won't be doing this for a while until I feel comfortable enough to do it. That and it'll take me some time to get enough money to purchase all the parts for such a project.

I just want to learn as much as possible, so when I DO talk to people about parts I have SOME idea :ugg: what they are talking about.:mrgreen:

I would say talk with Corky Bell out of the Dallas/Irvine area. I have done a few of his kits that he used to make for Z's and he really knows his stuff. If you need some help with carbs (especially holley) setups and how to play with power valves and metering blocks to get some improved fuel curves (I should say variations to the curves) then drop me a line. I use to do some of the really interesting carbs for some of these old turbo kit guy, like 20 years ago but I still know those tricks. My suggestion would be to actually go fuel injection system since you can actually tune the fuel to air ratio throughout the power range and get better gas mileage. The carb setups are more old school and more tempermental. But if you really want to do carbed I can help especially with that Holley types, including explaining where and how to drill into the body of the carb.

Good luck

Robert

FYI, Carbed turbo motors are some of the most tempermental engines known to man.

You think you have the metering down on the carb, and a warm or cool day makes the engine run like crap. I cussed a turbocharged Camaro one time for a week trying to get it to not run lean in midrange.

FI makes turbo motors easy and basically troublefree, and run at or near stoich at cruise.

A carbureted turbo motor typcally runs rich at part throttle...

Good luck,

Mike