HybridZ

New Post Indicator Is Not Working

texasz

On this site the new post indicator is not working. You know how a thread topic will show as bold when a new post has been made since your last visit. Well I'm on here daily and I have threads that have not been posted to for days, some over a week showing in bold as if a new post has been made to it since last time I visited. This is the only forum I'm a member of doing this so it's not an issue with my system not accepting cookies or anything like that (not globally at least).

Any ideas???

I've noticed the same thing for the last week or so and maybe it's just me but at the same time that happened the currently active users is now averaging between 300 and 400. I'm guessing a time period function was changed but I find having 200 guests on at one time is hard to believe but that would be great. :wink:

LARRY

• Administrators

I think we are confusing terms here.

"New / Recent" posts and "Unread" posts.

New/recent posts can be seen by selecting one of the links above on the second nav bar ie: "Posts Last 2 Days"

"Unread" posts are the ones that are bolded/highlighted and work just like your email client, they will stay bolded until you read or open the thread.

If you want to clear the unread threads then you can do one of 2 things.

1. Open each thread so that it is reset.... not much fun or.

2. On the menu above select Quick Links > Mark Forums Read.

The jist of it is, before we did the upgrade we were using the old way of marking forums as "UnRead".

Most other forums also use this method (cookie based).

Cookie based sucks because it is time based and is not an accurate way to show what threads are unread.

Below is a list of the options, we are now using option 3.

1. Inactivity/Cookie Based (default) - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how most other forum software and all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Dan

I've noticed that the unread function isn't reflecting my actual read/unread status for posts as well. It does sometimes, but it seems like if the cookie logs me off, the posts get marked as read when I haven't actually read them.

BTW, which option are we using now (1,2,3)?

• Administrators
BTW, which option are we using now (1,2,3)?

BTW, Unread post markers are not controlled by cookies at all... so I am told, it's all tracked in the database and associated by username.

In theory, you could logout of the forums, clear all your cookies and log back in and your unread post markers would still be correct. :twisted:

Guest ON3GO
I also noticed that if I answer a question, and go back to " New Posts" the question I answered disappeared, it dosn't show up as a new post?

ya thats happening to me too.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problems, Seems like it started up when the "view threads since last visit" changed to posts last 24 hours.

i have been just looking at the very first thread that way when i come back it acts like a book mark to where all the new threads are at.

what are the chances of bringing back the view post since last visit button?