HybridZ

Need some help (not a z, sorry). Datsun 510 ls1

So, i did as trial fit of the engine into my 72 510 this weekend.

Current issues:

A.The oil pan sits right on top of the steering linkage.

Option: Make a channel in the cast alloy pan for the linkage to move right through it.

2. Convert to rack and pinion?

3. make it a drop link?

B. I need to cut the firewall to sit the engine far back enough, and to fit the bellhousing. If i can move it back 4 inches, i can adapt the 510 engine mounts to the ls1 without too much trouble.

If anybody can offer me some alternative suggestions, i'd be very open to listen to them. Thanks.

Here's my only pic of the trial fit (camera died)

DSCN0634.JPG

I used to own a 510 with an Olds 215 V8. I did the LS1 swap into my 240Z and I had thought about doing it into a dime but I felt that the LS1 is way too big. If you can modify the firewall to set the motor back about 4-5 inches you may have a shot at it. Pull the dash and remove the heater unit. Then take a look at how far you can move it back and still keep the dash in place. You really need to try and get the weight back as far as possible if you plan on it being able to handle at all.

You can install a 240Z R & P steering unit and some 280ZX steering knuckles in the car to help with the clearance.

You are a brave man taking on a challenge like that.

Keep us updated on your progress.

I hope you see it through.

I hate to tell ya this but a good running SR20DET Is going to be just as fast and handle much better.

Good luck with the swap.

I'm sure somebody told the guys at Scarab the same thing...There's guys who swap in vg30et motors and can still turn' date=' and those are heavy motors! As it turns out, the ls1 is not much heavier than the sr20det, hence my choice. Besides, the cost of 450+ reliable horsepower in an sr20det far exceeds the total cost of my swap.

I'm doing this swap because i want something different...

I used to own a 510 with an Olds 215 V8. I did the LS1 swap into my 240Z and I had thought about doing it into a dime but I felt that the LS1 is way too big. If you can modify the firewall to set the motor back about 4-5 inches you may have a shot at it. Pull the dash and remove the heater unit. Then take a look at how far you can move it back and still keep the dash in place. You really need to try and get the weight back as far as possible if you plan on it being able to handle at all.

Qwik 240 - There's a guy who runs the Firestone in Mountain View (CA) who used to own a 215 powered 510. He blew the motor one day at the track and put in a 4 banger (not sure what type). Anyhow, i dont plan on keeping anything resembling the stock dash in there, so that's out tomorrow. The other issue is going to be making shifter linkage so i dont have to shift from the backseat.

Dale - If i get a front sump oil pan, then i'd have to move the front crossmember.

id look at the Vette winged pan.. personaly i wouldnt want to cut on the pan at all.. difficult to weld aluminum and its an oil pan.. just covert to rack and pinion

I hate to tell ya this but a good running SR20DET Is going to be just as fast and handle much better.

Good luck with the swap.

no it isnt. LS1 owns the SR20DET. to get a SR20DETto hang with an LS1 you would have to have a massive turbo, you would have a pathetic torque and hp band. in road racing torque owns. and if you put a roots or a procharger on it, its just going to make the LS1 even better. after that, if you wanted to get crazy and have a hp monster that would have a narrow torque/hp band (but still tons bigger than the SR20DET) do a huge turbo LS1. stupid haters :evil: pisses me off that anytime anyone puts an LS1 into some japanese car everyone says that *blank* japanese motor is better. all things considered.. its obviously not, otherwise the LS1 wouldnt be the second most swapped motor in the history of mankind, the first would be the SBC.