HybridZ

LEAF SPRINGS AND AXLE

Can anybody tell me if the Leaf Spring and straight axle setup is O.K. on the 240 Z. If not, why and woulod I need to put a SUB FRAME in the rear to weld the Spring mounts to, or can I attach to the existing frame? Somebody please help. I can't afford the custom setup...too expensive. HELP!!!

CorZette

I don't think you will have room for leaf springs. Just throwing a solid axle under there will take up some room if you don't do a four link conversion...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest John Adkins

What about 510 wagon leaf springs or leaf springs from a small '70s compact like a Corolla? Don't have any handy to measure though....

Guest John Adkins

The stock gas tank would definitely have to be modified/removed for leafs springs... but that would also open up some room for the exhaust system, which would also have to be relocated...

Guest Anonymous

And then there is always the big question "Why the he!! would anybody want leaf springs???". They have no adjustability and if you took them from a 510 or corolla the spring rates would be so little the car would squat down to the bumpstops every time you punched it. 4 link setups were introduced for a reason...they are superior to leaf springs when used in our type of installations. Rock crawling 4x4's are a different matter...For the love of GOD look into the 4 link setup before making any rash decisions!!

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

Corzette, I have heard of a z with an a

solid axle from an old mail carrier jeep.

Look in the "im tellin ya" section..

I have head about this Z from several people

in the hot hod community and they all say

it runs in the 9's in th 1/4 mile...

I have to agree with SpencZ here. Don't go cheap on this one. I'd also encourage everyone doing a V8 conversion to do two things when considering any modification to their cars: Be patiant, and do it right. I don't care if you use proven factory parts or Gee Whiz high tech polished gucci stuff, take your time, learn form our mistakes and do the conversion justice in the safest means possible. There are a number of guys on this board who have proven that it doesn't take a truck load of money to do these conversions safely and effectively with over the counter factory parts.

Not only will you have a better, safer package, you will also dispell the horrible myth that a V8 conversion is a bad thing.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest John Adkins

There used to be live axle, leaf spring equipped cars that handle well... Early Camaro Z-28? Mustang Boss 302?

Leaf springs can also work well in drag racing situations. There are NHRA stockers running 11's on stock leaf springs(properly set up, of course).

Leaf springs can be tuned by adding/subtracting leaves and by using "slapper" traction bars and varying the where the snubber hits the spring. They can also be tuned by raising or lowering the front mount point of each spring.

Mopars probably have the most research and study invested in leaf spring suspension setup. They even make "super stock" leaf springs for drag racing.

Leaf spring rear suspensions are very simple and rugged and can work well IF they are set up and installed properly.

We're just discussing some ideas...

I know I'm just a junior member here and don't mean to offend, but SpenceZ don't have a cow! I thought I saw the last of this thing (jumping all over someone's ideas) when I left Zcar.com...

[This message has been edited by John Adkins (edited May 01, 2000).]

Guest RON JONES

If the car is being built speciflically for dragraceing,and your not concerned with handleing,I don,t see a problem with useing leaf springs.I,m not sure they would fit,but if your trying to save the money of doing a whole 4-link tub job,why not?I know a guy at the track that goes 10.0,s and has hit the 9,s a couple of times with a very stock 68 camaro(except for the motor).The car works very well with leaf springs and Cal-Tech traction bars.Theres quite a few NMCA E-Z STREET cars runing mid to low 9,s safely with leaf springs,most use a Cal-Tech style traction bar.I think we need to realize that corZett can,t afford a custom 4-link setup and is looking for options here.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited May 01, 2000).]

Guest John Adkins

Spence,

The early z-28 and Boss 302 were built for SCCA Trans-Am road racing. They do more than go in a straight line. The race prepped ones can pull 1G on the skid pad (with leafs!) smile.gif

Also, inexpenively built doesn't necessarily mean unsafe or shoddy workmanship... Depends on the planning and attention to detail the builder put into the project... smile.gif

I'm not sure I would use leaf springs myself, but it they were installed correctly and set up correctly, they'd be safe...

Guest RON JONES

Any of you guys see what the guys at HOTROD did in the april issue to that BAD SEED chevettE.Ofcourse I,m refering to how they hung the rear.SCAREY

Guest John Adkins

A lot old of street rods used to be setup with a single transverse rear leaf spring like SpeedRacer mentioned. These setups used radius rods or ladder bars. I've seen some with 4 links... Real Shelby Cobras had transverse leaf springs front and rear! Didn't stop the Cobras from winning road races against Ferarris smile.gif

Guest John Adkins

quote:

Originally posted by RON JONES:

Any of you guys see what the guys at HOTROD did in the april issue to that BAD SEED chevettE.Ofcourse I,m refering to how they hung the rear.SCAREY

Yeah, it but it worked! And nobody got hurt! wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

That is the thing about typing...it doesn't relay a tone of voice or facial expressions...my post was not meant to flame but rather to exagerate my opinion to sway the decision of corZette. Sure...leaf springs can be tuned somewhat...by if you go into leaf springs the whole nature of the nimbleness associated with Z cars is diminished both because of the fundamental ride and handling characteristics, and because the weight increase would be so detrimental to the cars we so love. Sure...we add V8's and trannys, but usually the overall performance is enhanced by these mods. There are a few like Ron Jones and others who build their cars for drag racing and don't care about handling quality, bey they aren't doing it to save a buck here and there...and they don't use leafs either. The cars you mentioned as successful examples of properly setup leafspring cars are in no way related to the cars we drive...they are heavy...relatively slow...and go straight..only! I am sorry you consider my comments flame inducing...maybe they are...but I feel strongly about this. Z cars should not be thrown together with the hope of spending as little money as possible. It will get the driver either seriously hurt and possibly killed. Brakes need to be upgraded...chassis' needs to be strengthened... and roll cages added. If a person is not prepared to do all of this and wants to skimp....give the car to somebody who cares enough to do it right and buy a 5.0 Mustang to trash.

• 3 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by SpeedRacer:

corZette - are you talking about dual leaf springs like a lot of cars have or are you talking about using a traverse carbon fiber spring out of the Corvette. Hmmmmmmmm, Corvette IRS under a Z ..........

I got one under my 77 works great... Just need to finger out the parking brake...

------------------

Z U V8ter

http://cyind.com

Rspencer@satx.rr.com