HybridZ

Wide Body Blues

Gollum

Ok, I searched to no avail. I guess we need more ZX guys.

Anyone know of any ZG type flares for the ZX cars?

I've decided I need more tire. I've got new tires (less than 5k miles, no burn outs... as if my car could :D ) and I got into a hairy situation the other day in the rain. Traffic was heavy and traffic stopped suddenly, my tires started to slide and I was only going 45 MPH and I barely pressed on the brakes. Luckly nobody was hit/hurt/injured, but I recieved my fair share of middle fingers from everyone... I wasn't even tail gating was the sad part, but it was just about a 10% grade and my car would stop sliding... bogous.

So I want more tire next winter. So I figured why do this whole thing twice? I figured I'll just buy some flares and rims at the same time.

I like the size of the ZG flares and I like how easy it would be to drill & rivel them on. But I don't like the old school look, so I'd probly fiberglass the seam so it looked smooth.

So I need to figure out where I'm gonna get my flares, and what rims I'm gonna buy. I think the rims will be a harder choice, since I have no idea what's on the market. You can basically call me clueless on rims, other than I know what I think looks good.

Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't see why ZG flares won't fit a zx. Supra510 has them on his 510 and they look like they fit pretty well. The flares have suppose to flex a little so it will give you a little play to get them to fit. I know "Blackdragon" (aka Victoria British) has steel flares for zx but they aren't ZG flares.

Ya, I hear ya with the tires, but it has been my experience that a quality narrow "wet" tire will beat anything else on a Z. I fought my Z's on Long Island until I figured that out, and Bridgestones or Pirellis made a huge difference. Dont know that I would buy the same tires now, but back then, on my budget, that was the way to go, and as a bonus, they looked very nice on my stock steel rims.

Oh I only read the first 2 parts.

Wide Tires, wet = hydroplaining

studded tires are what you want for winter if you want to go wider for snow.

A wider track helps the cars handling.

But seeing taht you are front SF, I would suggest at least a good tread deign with what ever you go with.

Ok, I see what you guys are saying. But I've already got 195s. Is the problem the tread design?

What I guess I might end up doing is evetually upgrading to a wide body and such for a motor swap and then using the stock rims with some expensive winter tires.

Does anyone think it could be my brake system? Any other ideas of what it could be?

Anyone else had these problems in the rain?

check your brake porportions. Did you spin out? if so then you r rear has to much brakeing force. If you just slid forward then it could be a little to much to the front.

Since these cars don't have ABS, when you start to slide when braking , DON"T slam on the brake like most peoples' natural reaction. start tapping the brake, this is what I have to do sometimes in the winter time with my jeep.

The one major slid that I'm talking about just the front slid. And it wasn't a slam. I'd started braking lightly due to brake lights then I noticed they were stoped so I kinda pushed hard and then a little harder, then it slid. I let off then it was fine but I didn't have much time to stop and I'd just slid so I merged into the carpool lane as some guy in a brand new sti going 80mph had to slow down to 30 or so while I accellerated to get out of his way (oh no, I took 30 seconds out of his day). He was the one that I really ticked off but I thought it was my best option at the time, and probly was. I made him mad instead of possible hitting the person in front of me.

Ok, now you have the drawn out explaination to what happened.

My brother was just mentioning that he never had problems in his cars without ABS and that maybe my brakes are "old and suck". I'm leanding towards maybe I just gotta get used to a lower threshhold in the rain.

But now that you mention it my rears have never locked. Only my fronts have ever slid on me. So maybe my proportions are off. But my car is 100% stock. Maybe I should try flushing the entire system before buying a proportioning valve. I should also invest in SS braided lines.

The one major slid that I'm talking about just the front slid. And it wasn't a slam. I'd started braking lightly due to brake lights then I noticed they were stoped so I kinda pushed hard and then a little harder' date=' then it slid. I let off then it was fine but I didn't have much time to stop and I'd just slid so I merged into the carpool lane as some guy in a brand new sti going 80mph had to slow down to 30 or so while I accellerated to get out of his way (oh no, I took 30 seconds out of his day). He was the one that I really ticked off but I thought it was my best option at the time, and probly was. I made him mad instead of possible hitting the person in front of me.

Ok, now you have the drawn out explaination to what happened.

My brother was just mentioning that he never had problems in his cars without ABS and that maybe my brakes are "old and suck". I'm leanding towards maybe I just gotta get used to a lower threshhold in the rain.

But now that you mention it my rears have never locked. Only my fronts have ever slid on me. So maybe my proportions are off. But my car is 100% stock. Maybe I should try flushing the entire system before buying a proportioning valve. I should also invest in SS braided lines.[/quote']

BTW the rear is suppose to have less braking force but not too less. It also could be that you skidded because of having a bigger tire radius (bump steer). You probably know all about that. It could be when braking the front compresses thus changing your camber in the front.

mmm, good freakin' point. My suspension is still all origonal and squats and pitched BAD.

I totally understand your point jon. I admit I need alot more practice testing my limits in the rain. I know my turning abilitys very well, but don't practice braking much because there isn't too many safe places to build speed and stop near my house, while there's plenty of big and open turns :D . Maybe I just don't look for the things I don't care about. But now I really want to practice after that experience.