HybridZ

Traction predictions??

Ok guys

My setup is a 355ci lt1 with a cam and t56 tranny to a q45 vlsd rear end and mosler halfshafts

I am running 275/40/17 sumitomo htrz tires out back on a 9.5" wheel

Car is lowered, motor is mounted jtr style

WHat are your predictions for my traction, both on the street and at the track? I am kinda kicking myself in the *** for not getting drag radials on those wheels instead of the sumitomos, but will i be surprised at the traction? Will it be pretty good with the setup I have off the line?

Will i get traction in 2nd from a roll???

The car will be road worthy this weekend and I will be taking it around the block on its first trip this saturday!!!

With 40s in the rear assuming your pushing 300 or so to the rear wheels, I predict no traction what so ever!:mrgreen: IMHO street tires plus low pros equals less traction.....keep us informed and please prove me wrong. Wait did you say T56? Def no traction....

Terry

If drag racing is your primary concern you can do a lot with suspension tuning. I'm always amazed when I read the corvette forum and see some of the 60ft times guys are cutting with a bone stock engine.

My suggestion would be to get a g-tech or similar meter and kind of do a trial and error with clutch release. Some times the car may be bogging, but the alternative may be excessive tire spin. Keep an eye on your 60 ft times as they are key to tuning your launches.

Of course a drag race suspension can be a compromise over a road handling suspension so finding a balance is what you may need to do.

dont worry you will probally have to replace those pretty soon anyway then you can put the drag radials on and maybe strip out some rear gears.

i got a q45 rear end, mosler axles and 280z stubs, i dont think i'll be breaking anything in that department

I was hoping that the 275 width would help me some with traction

power wise i will be right around 330-340whp

i got a q45 rear end' date=' mosler axles and 280z stubs, i dont think i'll be breaking anything in that department

I was hoping that the 275 width would help me some with traction

power wise i will be right around 330-340whp[/quote']

Sounds nice. The reason I say this is because I have the BBC Z with low pros 18s and man my 60 is like 3 secs no matter what and I have the T56. Corzette is another story. MTs and 1.5 60s. Suspension tuning is a must but you will need traction ready tires to aide in the best 60. Ask ZFAN abou that. :mrgreen:

Terry

Let me give you a little comparison on my own problems with traction...

This past weekend the asphault temps at the race track were in the 50s and the car I was driving is a 3250# C5 Corvette. On the back I had 295-35-18s and i'm running 3.42 gearing w/T56 and 386 Wheel HP/382#Ft. torque. I had limited traction at part throttle, but Zero at full throttle in 3rd gear.

When I had my 383stroker T56 combo Zcar that weighed in 25XX pounds, I had some minimal traction issues as long as I didn't mash the pedal. But if you got stupid, it would be a smoke fest. I could break the tires loose from 3rd to 4th at over 100MPH for 10-20 feet or more and that was on a 265-50-15 Goodyear.

Mike

wow...shoulda got drag radials then huh ? For daily driving

Damn....

I have an lt1 with all bolt ons, electric water pump, hotcam, 1.6 rockers, good exhaust and intake and no accessories, with tuning I am hoping to get about 340whp or so.

Should have done the bfg 275/40/17 drag radials huh....

wow...shoulda got drag radials then huh ? For daily driving

Damn....

I have an lt1 with all bolt ons' date=' electric water pump, hotcam, 1.6 rockers, good exhaust and intake and no accessories, with tuning I am hoping to get about 340whp or so.

Should have done the bfg 275/40/17 drag radials huh....[/quote']

Daily driving your ok but I must say losing traction becomes a real nuisance real quick. Stay with street legal tires if you go softer. Maybe buy an extra rear set of rims and tires for the special ocassions....:burnout:

Terry

yea i really wanted the 17" drag radials for street use, and probably would have been good enough at the track, now im stuck with sumitomo street tires and i know they wont hook at the track or on the street

We'll see I guess, I may just get some 15" wheels and slicks for the track, but on the street my 17"s are still gonna be problamatic i think

We'll see I guess' date=' I may just get some 15" wheels and slicks for the track, but on the street my 17"s are still gonna be problamatic i think[/quote']

Good idea. With a chunky 15" drag radial you should be able to get some serious traction. Who cares about the awkward look at the track anyway? Hey, the Hondas with the steelies look worse...

Davy

Good idea. With a chunky 15" drag radial you should be able to get some serious traction. Who cares about the awkward look at the track anyway? Hey' date=' the Hondas with the steelies look worse...

Davy[/quote']

i just wish i had the drag radials mounted on my street wheels to give it that sleeper look but still pull off 1.7 60fts

if you end up going with drag radials, try the mickey thompson's. me and my buddies all used to run bfg's. my one friend with a supercharged goat switched over to the m/t radials and dropped 2 tenths off his sixties consistent. he said they made the bfg's feel like regular street tires. he's cutting 1.6's iirc with m/t radials the same size as your sumis. car is stock weight, no suspension mods. just a high stall converter and the m/t's. food for thought.

Guest ON3GO

the bfg drag radails that have the crazy thread pattern SUCK!

get nitto's if need be in the lower offset style drag radials.

the better bfg drags come in the thicker side wall, same with the good M/T drag radials.

my dads bone stock Z06 cant catch traction 1st, 2nd, and will step out in 3rd hard with traction control off... its damn fun but you will get passed if you look like ur going down a ice rink!

he has some 295-35-18's on the back, and i made good and sure i had them hot and sticky before i went balls to the walls.

my blue Z is getting a pretty wicked turbo LS1 and im considering running a really meaty sidewall drag radial all the time, wont look as cool as a nice low profile wheel but i wanna go fast!

mike