HybridZ

LS1 510 update (link to pictures)

rustrocket

I got up super early just to get pics on here for you guys. I spent a great deal of time yesterday on the 510. I took out the dash, engine bay wiring, dash wiring, clutch/brake master cylinders and brake lines, steering assembly, and part of the firewall.

The way the engine sits right now, there's about 2.5-3" between the crank pulley and radiator support. It sits nice and low in there, as seen in pic 095 . In pic 114 you can see how close the mounts line up as well as how much of the engine is over the crossmember. Looks like the mounts wont be too difficult to make however. Should have those finished this weekend. I definitely have steering issues. Looks like i'll have to modify the driver's side header to come up and around?

Pick n Pull is ahving a 50% off sale this weekend, might be a good opportunity for me to investigate a rack and pinion setup as well as the 280zx front suspension setup.

Check out the pics on my yahoo acct:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clarkcameronm/album?.dir=/c5e2

I got up super early just to get pics on here for you guys. I spent a great deal of time yesterday on the 510. I took out the dash' date=' engine bay wiring, dash wiring, clutch/brake master cylinders and brake lines, steering assembly, and part of the firewall.

The way the engine sits right now, there's about 2.5-3" between the crank pulley and radiator support. It sits nice and low in there, as seen in pic 095 . In pic 114 you can see how close the mounts line up as well as how much of the engine is over the crossmember. Looks like the mounts wont be too difficult to make however. Should have those finished this weekend. I definitely have steering issues. Looks like i'll have to modify the driver's side header to come up and around?

Pick n Pull is ahving a 50% off sale this weekend, might be a good opportunity for me to investigate a rack and pinion setup as well as the 280zx front suspension setup.

Check out the pics on my yahoo acct:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clarkcameronm/album?.dir=/c5e2[/quote']

Looking great. I like where you have it positioned. Any pics of the firewall mods? Maybe you can take some next time you have the motor out.

I think R & P steering will fix you clearance issues on the drivers side. When i did my V8 510 my headers dumped out in the front.

See them in these pics.

520667_3_full.jpg

520667_4_full.jpg

Looking great. I like where you have it positioned. Any pics of the firewall mods? Maybe you can take some next time you have the motor out.

Do you think it should come back any further or does that look good? What about the height?

I'll take some pic of the gaping hole in the firewall when the engine is out later today, weather pending. It looks a little sloppy right now though :-( Tomorrow, i'm going to bolt the tranny on and do the necessary cutting for the tunnel. It looks like the shifter is only going to be back a couple inches from stock.

The pedals are going to have to move to the left a little bit as well.

I'm thinking that i'm going to mount the master cylinders inside the car, to keep the engine bay as clean as possible.

The rack and pinion isn't as easy as it sounds to get the right bumpsteer, geometry, etc. Dave Lum at http://www.datsuns.com did the swap and ended up using 240z struts, etc. There is a thread that addresses this

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108113&highlight=510+rack+pinion

You could contact Dan at DGR fabrication 408-982-9684. He has done a r and p conversion for a few people so would know exactly what's involved. Wish I had more info to give you but from what I've heard it's not a simple as it sounds.

Looks like your main issues are the steering and exhaust. Once you get those figured out the rest is just fabrication. I have more of the cowl/firewall cut out for my swap than you have there.

Do you think it should come back any further or does that look good? What about the height?

I'll take some pic of the gaping hole in the firewall when the engine is out later today' date=' weather pending. It looks a little sloppy right now though :-( Tomorrow, i'm going to bolt the tranny on and do the necessary cutting for the tunnel. It looks like the shifter is only going to be back a couple inches from stock.

The pedals are going to have to move to the left a little bit as well.

I'm thinking that i'm going to mount the master cylinders inside the car, to keep the engine bay as clean as possible.[/quote']

I think you have it back far enough. Looks like you have room for the radiator up there. If the hood closes in the current position I think the height is fine.

You didn't show any pics of the ground clearance. The oil pan needs enough ground clearance or you will having big problems. A skid plate might be a good idea.

Hard to tell by the picks but it looks like the shifter is gong to be about 5-6 inches back form stock. My T5 was about 3 inches back and still fell in a comfortable position.

Keep the updates coming.

Dan at DGR offered to sell me the rack and pinion off his girlfriend's car for $1k. That was for a front sump though. I've been talking extensively with Dave Lum and will most likely be going with his setup. I dont have $1000 to blow on steering.

I'm going to cut more of the cowl so i can raise the engine so my oil pan sits at the same height as the bottom of the crossmember.

If all goes well, mounts should be made this weekend.

side note: now looking for an r180 3.36:1