HybridZ

shortening strut tubes- opinions

Guest scca

in the past we shortened the tubes on Cprod and GT2 cars for more travel. back then there were only 14" low profile tires. i

what i have come to decide is that shortening the tubes on a Z is not a good idea IF the car is running 16" or taller tires, and using camber plates. the plates lower the car 2" and doesnt affect travel. my convertible is very low and running 10" springs with stock length inserts and has 4"+ of travel. if your getting 6" travel then the springs arent stiff enough ...were talking street cars here not track cars.. my 510 is using MR2 inserts which are the equivalent to the superbeetle or (rabbit is the shortest insert) that was commonly put into zcars/510s. but my 510 also uses 325# front springs and would be a terrible ride on the street.

Also if you intend to run a fat tire

ie 16x8 or larger and a 245 or so you want the spring perch above the tire and you cant do this if you shorten the strut as there will be no strut to attach the spring to.

------------------

Mike

http://www.fonebooth.com

raceparts and brakeupgrades

SCCA I have got to contact you offline, 'cause I'm gonna have to deal with this by next spring, as I'm upgrading wheels to 17s, suspension to coilovers, and brakes and hubs to 5 lug.... gee guess who I'll be buying them from???

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Mike (scca) has a really good point that I left out - the camber plates lower the cars 2 inches (Mike, isn't it a different amount on 240Z's and 280Z's?)

I'm using the stock 240Z strut isolators, and not camber plates, so to lower the car, I had to section the strut to keep the bump travel.

I'm not sure if I understand the reasoning behind not sectioning the strut for larger wheels. There are some mean bumps where I live and I'd sure like to have more than 4 inches of travel. In particular there's an evil dip around a fast corner on the freeway journey home. Even with a good set of swaybars I figure the car is going to squat enough to soak up 2 or more inches. And that dip is gonna eat more than 2.

If I do decide to section, I'd like to swap front tubes to the rear (since fronts are already 2 inches shorter than rears, right?) and then rears to front. If I do, then I'd need to shorten the rears by 4 inches to equal a 2 inch shortened front, correct?

Does anyone know the specific model years of either MR2 or GTI cartridges?

Thanks.

Some camber plate/top spring perch combos are 2" less in height than the stock perch and isolator. Shortening the distance between the top of the spring and the strut tower with these aftermarket combos can take height out of the car while keeping the suspension travel the same.

Mike kZ,

Since I'm working on the rear of the my car first can you tell me how much you cut the strut tubes back there, if any. And the overall dia. of the wheels that you use on your car. Any problems with the tires hitting the weld on lower spring perch.

Thanks Danno74Z

[This message has been edited by Danno74Z (edited September 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Danno74Z (edited September 06, 2000).]