HybridZ

How long will a welded r180 last?

Thumper

I am about to change my rear diff from a r200 to a welded r180. I am doing this for being lighter, better gearing (3.36 compared to 3.545), and this will be welded so better traction. This will be only a drag car and will not have to worry about turns except in the staging lanes. I know the welds tend to turn on autocross type courses and on the street but what about straight line? The specs on the build are here. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=109709 Thanks

The parts we were breaking in the R180s were the side gears - welding it up should fix that anyway. Not near as strong as the R200 but you might get away with it.

The welded R200 in my 260Z is still working fine and is more streetable than most people think. For a drag only car it is the only way to go. My car only runs 11.49 but it does it with a 1.57 60 ft!!

As for the 3.36 gears I think you might be over gearing a little. Try both the 3.36 and a 3.55 and let us know the results - I think the 3.55's will ET better.

3.36:1 is definitely better for an L28 turbo car. Turbo cars in general like those long gears. I've repeatedly argued this with professional transmission builders who should know better.

I started with a 3:90, went to 3:54, then 3:36 and went faster every time.

Funny thing, the car doesn't feel faster because of the different power delivery curve, but 1/4 mile times verified the improvement.

Ditto on the R180 failure mode. I've seen a couple break, and they were both side gear failures. Don't know how the R180 R&P would last with your power level, however.