HybridZ

RB20det or RB25det into my 280zx?

hoov100

im starting to like the idea of the rb20 because its cheap and plentifull, the 25 costs more, but i have heard the rb25 has a better oiling system, any info, help, whatever you have to give, cant afford a rb26, but i have all the materials/skills, to make/modify the zx to fit.

Not sure about the oiling system, but if you want a 2.0 why not do an SR20 swap? Personally I'd go with the RB25!!!! Way more power potential from the 25. The 25 can easily support 500 HP, same can't be said about the 20. (Without some serious modding). And The 25DET comes with a stronger tranny.

Best bang for the buck, I'd say go for the RB20DET just because you dont have to pay for engine/tranny mounts and a driveshaft. Howeveer, you said you have the ability to fabricate so that eliminates the cost of mounts if you get the RB25DET. So, go with the RB25. It has a wider powerband than the rb20, which is what makes an overall fun car, IMO.

yea, cali smog sucks, its getting harder and harder, even for stock cars to pass.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the newer motors more environmentally friendly than the old ones? I would think that they would want you to swap in less polluting motors than the car came with. Luckily in NJ there is an exception on "Collector Cars", they don't don't even look under the hood. The only catch is that you can't drive the car more than 5K a year. Which is no big deal unless it's your daily driver.

I would go sr20 because it provides more ponies than stock motor, is much lighter, gets a consistent 25 mpg, can be placed easily behind the front cross member, makes for a better weight distribution, and the availability of parts is phenominal, but the I6 equivalent is DEFINATELY the RB25, the RB20 is like the under engineered commutor brother of the 26 and 25, so go with the 25 if you really wanna stay with an RB series engine.

Guest 1972_240z

that is why i bought a 240z. so i didn't have to worry about cali emissions. Plus, the 240z, 260z, and 280z is one of the rare cars, you can actually swap an RB series motor in without too much hassle and you don't have to smog it because its a classis.

well i would suggest the RB20DET.

i swapped one into my 280ZX and it all bolted up if you get the sump and oil pickup from a 200ZR. and just to top it off, even the stock speedo cable slides straight in and is accurate.

on stock boost, just with an exhaust, FMIC and tune i made 220 rwhp. It has amazing response.

I have now cranked it up to about 14psi on the stock turbo, which it is quite capable of, and i am loving it. Rolling on to the throttle in 2nd will get both tyres spinning.

also, the money you save by going 20 instead of 25 can be spent on a bigger turbo and you can have an easy 300rwhp.