HybridZ

I need help

gb20

I just got my car smoged, and suprise, suprise, it failed:cry2: . So now I have been on the phone all morning trying to find someone that can and will do a good tune up on this thing. It's a 260 and everyone I talked to won't do it because they have never worked on one before:fmad: . Anybody in Las Vegas have a good place to take our Z's? Thanks for your time.

gb20

If you cannot do a tuneup yourself, get it to a mechanic and tell him what you want it to do. A normally running 260Z should pass smog. Wow, I'm shocked that Kalifornia exempts the '74 from the smog checks but Nevada does not. That's stupid since Nevada's population (car's & people) is a FRACTION of my state's is.

Davy

Change the oil and replace the PCV. I know that sounds odd, but on a well seasoned engine some of the fresh gas gets by the rings and into the crankcase oil. The motor oil will absorb only so much and then and release those unburned HCs and feeds them back through the engine, increasing the amount emitted at the tailpipe.

ther are a couple of ways to approch this failed smog/ what kind of test is in vegas??? a two speed / idle test, or a dyno test at 15 & 25 mph,/ never the less , does it have a converter or no?, fuel injected or carb?? / these basic questions need to be presented inorder for proper diagnosis, scan your test and put it in your next post,

At the risk of letting everyone know I should ride the short bus:ugg: , what is the pcv?

PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It is a valve, probably plastic, that you should replace once in a while. Take the advice above and put a new one in, change your oil, do a tuneup. Also, buy a repair manual---they have pictures and good stuff, like information :mrgreen:

Davy