HybridZ

might buy this z31

b__sosick

link

still keeping my s130 turbo. for now. hehe. I'm going to go check it out saturday. the description sounds pretty good. she says "only needs a cat replaced". HAHA. who needs cats? girls are silly. anywho, what should I look out for? I've never owned a z31 before.

m1YB2VwA9uD5cLlACaky2ptOGoFK.jpg

ThV9TFag3no1ETDMcvGYGdRg7L9U.jpg

Flt96sXew0Qp441UzvJtk3HBliE4.jpg

AAPRvGE0GV7chbm5IWGKsg7r7cIE.jpg

quoted description:

Burgandy 1986 V6 Nissan 300zx. Price is negotiable!!! I have recently re-done the interior, looks almost brand new! New seals around doors, t-tops, and windows: no leaks. Manual transmission, less than 103,000 miles. New cd player. Includes some spare parts, email me for a list (there are too many to list here). I would be willing to include the amp and two 12"s that I had in the car for an extra price. The catalytic converter needs to be replaced, it is a very recent problem and was running great before. Still runs but gets grumpy if the RPMs get too high (that will, once again, be solved by replacing the cat.)Its a great little car that needs a little bit of work to be perfect. Performance is great, handles like its on rails! I love this little car, hate to get rid of it but I moved and can't have two cars anymore =( Email me with any questions!

Guest l28et

I have an '88 and I love it. Check out Z31.com for a "what to look out for" list. Check to see if they have the service records (timing belt and water pump are cruicial).

The crank snout is succeptible to bending due to overtensioning and can cause frequent water pump failure so make sure you get a good test drive in.

Oh, and understand this is the red headed step child of all the Z cars. You wont get much love and the aftermarket support kinda sucks, but they are cool cars.

I love my Z31 almost as much as my 240 and I think youll enjoy yours.

300zx19pt.jpg

300zx29tz.jpg

300intr5zx.jpg

I heard those motors don't like to go much over 100K, but I have no experiance with them. I know one thing, when you look under the hood of a Z32, there is NO room anywere, idk if this is the same with the Z31. Everything needs to be done by a mechanic, becuz its a PITA to do anything

Guest l28et
rickey your wheels are backwards on your driverside rear.

Already been fixed. Damn you got a good eye. I wouldnt have noticed by looking at the wheels, but I knew the FR and BL tires were backwards (rotational tires).

Guest ON3GO

well when you've been around Z's of all years as long as i have you catch onto little stuff like that.

man i dont wanna see how i am when im 50.. lol

mike

I heard those motors don't like to go much over 100K, but I have no experiance with them. I know one thing, when you look under the hood of a Z32, there is NO room anywere, idk if this is the same with the Z31. Everything needs to be done by a mechanic, becuz its a PITA to do anything

I'm sorry, but that is funny. The VG30 is as bullet proof as most Nissan engines. This same engine is in my '91 Hardbody P/U and I have 310k miles on it. And I beat the living crap out of it daily. Aside from neglecting the timing belt and having it snap (which I have done) you would practically need to throw a grenade into the engine bay to kill it. I was very lucky not to have bent any valves when my belt snapped. Other than that there is little to worry about. And these motors are actually fairly easy to work on. They are nothing like the later VG30de in that regard.

Brian

So its official. I'm almost definetly buying it. It has a grand total of maybe 2 square inches of rust. Everything works. Needs exhaust, new AC computer. Comes with hundreds of dollars in useable spare parts.

Ttops have the shades. Nothing leaks. The sound system is very decent and already pre wired for amp/subs. (I'll probably only use one 12" sub and a small amp. Not much of a boomboom bass guy)

It has a brand new cd player, 6" pioneers. New camshaft seals. New timing belt. New k&n filter. Newish clutch. It does have the upgraded fuel injectors and auxillary cooling fan..so it won't set fire.

Its not terribly quick. Maybe one day I'll scrounge up enough cashflow to do the turbo swap...maybe even an sbc!! But for now I need something that's reliable and doesn't choke me with fumes. And that my girlfriend will like. Haha!

Anywho. Anyone want a turbo s130? :P

Another common problem is the fuel level sender. The original design is somebodies pipe dream. The replacement is a conventional type.

New from Courtesy Nissan:

Fuel Tank Gauge Assembly For Analog Gauges - 1984 - 1988 300ZX

Code:25060-Z31AN

Price: $82.66

Fortunately Nissan put a hatch plate in the rear floor so you can change it without dropping the tank.

I think your gonna love that car. I love mine, it's so comfortable and roomey. The engine bay is a little tight but not bad, the spark plugs aren't easy to change though. I've never heard anything bad about those engines except the timing belt, which most cases are just neglect. The engine in my 85 had 142 thousand miles on the clock, it ran, but a fire melted 50% of the engine harness. Is that a 2+2 or a two seater? All in all they are nice little cars, and if you need more speed you can drop an SBC in rather easilly.:wink:

This is actually my 2nd z31. My first was an 88 NA and i drove it for a month with no problems and then sold it to buy my 87 turbo. I have had it since the end of september and have been driving it everyday since then with no problems. I had to have the injector recall done because it had never been done and plus Nissan does it for free. I just had the timing belt, and clutch replaced, I just replaced the timing belt to be safe. Like any Z car, they have some little problems. Usually the gas, water temp, and oil pressure gauges do not work or only work sometimes. All my gauges work fine but the gas gauge goes to E very quickly but the secondary 1/4 gauge works as does the gas light. As Dan pointed out you can reinstall the sending unit and it usually fixes this problem.