HybridZ

Breaking up at 5500rpm

Guest Cronic

Guest Cronic

My L28et has just been rebuilt about 60 miles ago. And we're having trouble with the car breaking up around 5000-6000rpm. It's really strange and it does not do it all of the time. I think it has something to do with ignition by the way it feels, but I'm not sure. It has stock 280zx electronics and dizzy. It's all old as heck. I've tried cleaning out the contacts, and am going to do cap/rotor/plugs/wires/coil just to be on the safe side.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions.

I've got the same problem. The problem remained after scrapping all of the stock ecu and converting to a megasquirt. I'm thinking it might be noise in the wires coming from the distributor since the run right under the plug wires. I replaced the plug wires (bought cheapy autozone ones) and the problem changed from not so bad to really bad, so I think I know the solution. I'm gonna try a good set of plug wires and shield the distributor wires and maybe get a better signal to the ecu.

Guest Cronic

Oh snap! I just remember that I always gap my plugs at .028 and I'm not the one who installed them this time.... I'll try that. Thanks Silent!

• 1 month later...
It's all old as heck

Well, you got an hint there, might be your old module just raising the with flag after many years of good service. Hey, everybody needs to retire at one point or another.

P.S.: Don't whant to sound stupid but, what does DIZZY means in thermes of electronics, is it some kind of "fuzzy logic crap" ?

Well' date=' you got an hint there, might be your old module just raising the with flag after many years of good service. Hey, everybody needs to retire at one point or another.

P.S.: Don't whant to sound stupid but, what does DIZZY means in thermes of electronics, is it some kind of "fuzzy logic crap" ?[/quote']

Dizzy is a distributor... it distributes the spark to the spark plugs.

-Ed

It's car slang :)

it distributes the spark to the spark plugs.

Well, this I can figure, I'm a mechanic but an primarily french speaking one.

Thanks TNFZ so, DIZZY is just a nick name for DISTRIBUTOR if I understood correctly? I tought it was some kinde of electronic module like the ignitor or something.

• 2 weeks later...

These distributors are notoriuos for going bad! The advance mechanism in the distributor rotates on small ball bearings, with a plastic cage, that over time the plasic cage fails. Just some food for thought!

Do you have a turbo opticaly triggered crank postion distributor or a Stock zx VR sensor dist?The regular N/A dist. has a bad habit of the bushing in the distibutor wearing out to the point that the VR sensor comes into contact with the reluctor wheel and the car won`t start with a magic wand.I had a replacement bushing made out of teflon impregnated delron.If it`s the optical trigger it`s possible that the bearing in the distributor has worn to the point of replacement.

• 2 months later...

you mentioned you had no fuel

i just spent this weekend with a friend trying to figure out what was going on with his sr20det, it ran fine until around 3500 or so when it started to get alot of boost, and would stumble and die, after checking EVERYTHING it turned out a rubber fuel line had kinked and wasnt letting enough fuel through

know it might not exactly pertain to this, but sometimes it helps to start out with the basics as far as fuel/spark etc

good luck with the car