HybridZ

Maximum achieved HP/TQ out of a NA L motor. (just curious)

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

Just out of curiousity, what is the most HP/TQ anyone has ever achieved using their L24, L26 or L28 motor with out boost. No turbo or blower, just carb or NA EFI.

Playing with desktop dyno 2000, I can't get more than 250hp out of it.

Brian510 was pushing 298 Wheel-horse last I heard. That was a 3.2 stroker on webbers.

actually it was 278 and with Mikunis and 9.7:1 compression... but we are going to do a cam change and up the compression some so should be a squeeker more when done.

BUT I liked your 298 comment!

Search and you should find a thread where John Coffey was told 370 hp out of the L24 by Sunbelt (one of the best L engine builders) IIRC. That's a motor whose lifespan isn't very many hours long, but it was a road racing engine, not a drag engine.

I just want to clarify one thing, Sunbelt never built an L6 engine that made 370hp (at least when I talked with Jim about it back in 2000). If I remember right, his biggest horsepower claim was around 350 for an L24 that spun to 8,500 rpm. His mention of 370 hp was based on being able to spin a L6engine to 9,000 rpm or more, but that engine would be a qualifying engine that wouldn't last very long.