HybridZ

Super FAST help needed....!!!

Ok, I changed all my ignition stuff over to a complete MSD setup. Well, I stuck the new dizzy about 10 times trying to get the sucker fired up and I'm pretty sure that I was at TDC, with all the wires routed correctly, I'm getting spark and fuel, so I'm positive it has to do with the timing. Now, while doing some research I came across this .......

"On engines after 1986, the side timing marks will no longer match up, as the new marks were moved to behind the water pump in the 12:00 position. This was done because these engines had so many brackets on them, the side scale just wasn't visible. So, new marks at noon, timing light down from the top, behind the water pump."

Is there any truth to that statement???? The casting number is 14093638... so it's an 86-88 block (from what I've found)

Opinions please.................................

Yes, that is true. You can't be "almost sure" about being on top dead center. The tried and true method is as follows. Put a mark on your dist housing at the number one spark plug position. Pull the number one spark plug out of the head. Put your finger in the spark plug hole and turn the engine. A remote starter button comes in handy at this point. If you don't have one, enlist some help from a friend. Now, turn the engine over slowly until you feel compression on your finger. Watch the timing mark on the damper and when it lines up with the "0" on the timing scale, you are on top dead center. The pointer on the rotor should also line up with the mark you put on the dist housing. If it doesn't you need to relocate the dist so that it does. Hope this helps.

just remember that when you are playing with the distributor it is really easy to burn off an eyebrow or two if you are not careful!!! years ago i had a friend put the distributor in on my celica and shot flames 2 feet out of the carb.