HybridZ

Where to keep a project?

Guest Thiefton

Guest Thiefton

Right now I'm looking to purchase two running 280Z's. I've been in love with these cars for years now and really want to get into my first project car with one of them. I'm used car dealer, so I don't need to worry about how long it takes to get the thing the way I want it, I drive whatever has gas in it that's on the lot, but I am worried about having to pay a place where I can store and work on the car. I live in the city, in an apartment and while I am trying to find a place with a garage I have other more pressing concerns about my choice in location than whether or not I have a garage. Anybody else have this problem or is it just silly to even contemplate this idea without my own garage?

Also, I realize I'm a car salesman but anybody want to ballpark the price I should offer for these two cars? Here's what I can say about their condition:

1) The titled car I'm told runs strong (runs like God is the way he described it, odd terminology) and has less than 80,000 original miles. It has had a decent amount of body work (visible bondo on the rear quarters) but the rust appears to be very limited on the bodywork and minor surface rust where I see it. I haven't really been able to check out the frame yet but am told that it is rust free. It is missing its tail-lights and the front headlight enclosures have been removed along with the front bumper.

2) The parts car also runs and appears to be in about the same condition as the titled car, but is a parts car since there is no title. Mileage, engine, transmission are all in the same condition but there is a slight bit more rust on the body of this car since it has had no attempted restoration.

Who wants to ballpark that? Nothing on my lot is comparable.

If you're a dealer, don't you have space on your lot to store your personal cars indefinitely? And if you are a dealer, most likely you would expect to pay wholesale. The wholesale-retail spread on these cars is huge! I'd say $1500 wholesale for the pair of them, tops.

Guest Thiefton

Its a private sale so I imagine I would be paying private party costs. I doubt that the person selling the cars is looking to make a profit on them, it looks like he lost the will to restore the car 1/3 of the way into the project.

I won't be buying anything with rust on the frame, the last thing I need to be doing is spending my summer trying to find the cure for car cancer.

I can't keep cars on the lot because I work at a tiny used car dealership and we don't really have the space. Our "maintenance" department is the independent garage next door. On with the housing search!