HybridZ

Fuel injection with weber DCOE's?

olie05

Heres my plan:

Gutted webers with completely hidden fuel injection.

I started looking at some pictures, and even saw a few real DCOE's and I know that it will be almost impossible to fit a standard fuel injector into the gutted carburetor housing. I found on the TWM website a picture of an alpha with ITB setup and a "k-jet" nozzle...

that got me thinking, (and here's my question for the fuel injection guru's)

is it possible to separate the atomizing part and the valve part of a fuel injector and connect a hose in between the two?

The idea would be to mount the fuel injectors somewhere, possibly in the float bowls of the gutted carbies, and run a small metal pipe to a nozzle that would atomize the fuel, but would be small so as to appear to be a vacuum fitting, or to be mounted in a conveniently hidden location. The fuel injector itself would be demoted to just a fast actuated and precisely metered valve.

I don't want to hear about why I am doing this, I'm doing it cus i want to :P

Fabricate a 1" spacer between the Carbs and the Manifold. Tap the spacers for your injectors. You could look them down so they are hidded from view. There is no reason to cut up a set of $600 carbs, ebay price, for no reason.

I'm going to agree with SHO-Z on this one, unless you've got the money to spend I wouldn't tear up those carbs. The spacer is a good idea. If you mount the injectors below the intake they will be nearly invisible. Although you might have vapor lock issues with the exhaust being so close. If you really want to go crazy, mechanical fuel injection units use an injector that is small enough to fit into the airstream inside the DCOE, but they do not have valves in them, they constantly inject fuel, like a carb. Or at least that's how the ones we use in aviation work.

Good news - it's been done before - bad news - I don't know about DCOE's. The Hot Rod guys have been gutting carbs and putting injectors in them for a while now. I have seen quite a few at Hot Rod shows and you can't tell they aren't carburetors.

I think the most popular is the Vintage Speed version with what looks like 3 2bbl Stromberg 97's sitting on a small block Chevy but there are others out there.

A DOCE is an expensive carb but you could talk to them and see if they would do it.

The link you posted prooved to be quite helpful...

I found that they use Pico fuel injectors, those will be easy to hide in the carburetor.

edit (didn't want to make a whole new post for this):

I have noticed that the in putting the fuel injector in the float bowl, I would have to move the throttle plate away from the engine, other wise i would be spraying onto a closed throttle plate at idle. Unless I can think of an idling solution, this seems like the largest hurdle to overcome, with the discovery of these small injectors.

28_1_sbl_thumb.JPG

Injecting above the throttle blade at idle is no problem. The GM TBI (Throttle Body Injection) did that from the factory. Since the throttle blades are never really completely closed, you just have to make that the fuel is properly atomized and it should work fine.

That setup from Lumenition looked pretty good. http://www.lumenition.com

Maybe you could fit the injectors on the bottom side of the DCOE so you wouldn’t see them.

• 2 months later...
why not just weld/tap bosses on the intake runners?

well, thats just a give away for having fuel injection.

I kinda want it for the wow factor. Like I tell someone my car is fuel injected and then they see webbers, and they argue that its carbureted and that I don't know anything about cars. I think it would be cool and its a creative way of doing ITB's

i just need to get the $$$ together for a set of pico injectors, and a weber setup I can just hack up.

have you thought about installing injectors on the underside of the intake runners? It will solve your idle problem and still hide the injectors and you won't have to "move" the throttle blades. I think no matter what you do, you will still have fuel lines traced to the intake side so that's a dead giveaway and in either cases the injectors will be hard to access to. With injectors under the intake you might have to deal with heat coming off off the exhaust.