HybridZ

Anybody near or live/lived in Chattanooga, TN?

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Just wondering if anybody knows much about that area...

car scene?

cheap to live?

nice area?

anything to do?

good place to find work?

thanks

mike

Guest ON3GO

hehe Yes and No.

its just a thought right now...

going there to check it out prob right after the "race" and see whats up..

i just wanted to get others that have been or lived there and see what they thought.

mike

No dentists either! None required. On my journey to SEZ I spent some time in tenessee, or Ten I See as they say. Which ten I'm not sure and I thought seeing double was bad!! Anyway, I stopped at no less than 6 convenience stores and all the women in them were missing at least the front two top teeth. I finally asked one what happened and she said that she smarted off to her old man and he slapped her silly, knocking her two front teeth out. I said you ought to get them fixed, she says, "ain't got no money"

I guess it's legal over there, but I'd watch out if I were you, some of those women I saw I wouldn't fight in a fair fight and the rest were so ugly that there wouldn't be enough beer to make them good looking.

There are probably better looking women, you just have to get off the road alittle farther than I did, probably in the back woods.

well, Dr. Hunt, i don't know why you were checking out convent store girls but i assure you that there are plenty of good looking girls in Tennessee.

on to mikes question(s) about Chattanooga...

>car scene?

>anything to do?

there is a car scene and there are things to do, but they won't be a large or as pervasive as Houston (that's where you're from right?) or FL. so if you have to have 10^5 people who trick out cars, or dance clubs on every corner then you won't find it in Chattanooga, Knoxville or Nashville to be up to par. Nashville will have the largest car scene and best clubs, it's about 90 minutes from downtown chatt. there are some very nice, fast cars around, and lot of them are built by their owners.

>cheap to live?

generally yes. nice 2 br apts are in the $600-700 range most places. everyone i know from FL comments on how much cheaper it is to live here. i found a bit of a deal, i pay 575 for a 3 br house and have 2 roommates in an older neighborhood good in Knoxville.

>nice area?

Tennessee is beautiful. there are rivers, mountains and woods everywhere. as far as safe, most of Tennessee is pretty safe, and the people are friendly. there is a large redneck population, i think Dr. Hunt found some of them, but they won't bother you if you dont' bother them.

>good place to find work?

I think so. there aren't very many (maybe one or two) good preform ace shops in Knoxville and there are lots of personally owned garages. I don't' know the details of Chattanooga, but Knoxville, Chattanooga and Nashville are fairly similar as far as i can tell.

--gabe

Guest ON3GO

good to know thats. yes i know knoxville has some pretty fast cars, i know of a few supras from that area.

would be a house, not a apartment, i couldnt do what i wanna do in a apartment.

i just dont want to move to a place were ill be bored out of my mind all the time.

mike

That wasn't my wife. For those of you that don't know my wife died Jan 5, '06 of a glioblastoma brain tumor. She had been suffering the effects for some 1.5 years or so, that resulted in extremely erratic and unrational behavior. She was finally diagnosed on Halloween of '05 and didn't last much longer after that. She underwent surgery, radiation and chemotherapy to no avail. That woman at SEZ is Katherine and she is a girlfriend. Sorry I didn't share my life with you it was just real hard to deal with and I didn't feel like sharing except with a few what I consider to be close friends and family.

I was looking for my kinfolk in Ten I see. My dad was from Greenwood Arkansas and I have alot of kinfolk from there. I just found it odd that nobody I met of the female persuasion had front teeth, but then again I didn't get off the road much.

Thank you GabeRoc for defending our great state.

I’ll echo the benefits:

No state income tax, cheap rental housing and real estate (I only paid $52K for my 1500 sq ft rancher on a half acre lot, of course, that was ten years ago). Good job market (especially in health care), good schools (GO VOLS!), and beautiful scenery (mountains, rivers and plenty of lakes).

I have worked with lots of people who have come to Tennessee from all over the USA and most tell me that I would be nuts to live anywhere else (as I have lived in east Tennessee my entire life).

As far as car lovers are concerned, Tennessee is a great place to live! No yearly car safety inspections. No enforcement of the pollution equipment laws (except if you live inside the Nashville city limits). Affordable automobile registration so you can own several cars (I pay $60 per car per year). And for us Z car owners, The Z Barn is within driving distance!

The only bad thing about east Tennessee [i’ll admit to] is the pollen season. If you suffer from hay fever or asthma you can be quite miserable for half the year.

Like I said, we don't live in east Tennessee yet but, come the end of next month, we will be moving to an old retired folk’s community there. http://www.tellicovillage.org/rg/ We own a lot there for quite a few years and will be about 30 miles SW of Knoxville just off I-75. We have vacationed there many times and I can tell you that it is gorgeous. Great Smokie Mountains, lots of lakes & rivers, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, four seasons but very mild winters. You will find inexpensive housing, no income tax and very low property taxes. Knoxville is also the home of the University of Tennessee so lots of young folks and culture.

Best of all, nice friendly people and lots of car nuts. BTW, the Summer Nationals are held in Knoxville and they get around 3,500 - 4,000 custom cars and Hot Rods that show up from all over the country.

Yup, there may be a few "smile challenged" women around but there are some southern belles that will absolutely knock your socks (or something else) off.

Speedracer,

When i was a kid in Atlanta I used to go to a summer camp called tellico Mt camp. Very pretty part of the world and some rather nice twisty roads if i remember correctlly. My Dads side of the family are all from tenn. around Sweetwater. and the trystate area around johnson city. I visited about two years ago and he took me to a vally called Haynes vally (our last name) where we found old grave sites with Haynes' in them back to the early 1800's. Kind of cool.

Anyway, I now live in New Zealand (have done for 24 years)but have always had a soft spot for Tenn. The people that we meet in our few weeks of traveling were nice and always seemed to be interested in where were from and how we ended up in tenn. It was nice. In other parts of the states Cal. in particular people just wouldnt give you the time of day.

Douglas

I had forgotten about the car shows and such that happen here all the time. I think that happens more in knoxville than in chattinooga, but they are only 90 minutes appart, so the drive isn't bad.

houses are pleantiful so finding one shouldn't be too hard.

Guest BiltWel

Hey man you will be close to me then only a few hours. By the way you guys can talk about the women in Tennesee all you want just don't mess with KY we have some of the most beutiful(all teeth havin women) in the country as far as I am concerned.

oh crap i have been lazy i didnt see this thread. mike i go to school in collegedale which is about 20-30 mins from down town chatt. and well there is a car scene even some very i repeat very fast cars here. im thinking on moving up here after school. Warning check emmissions laws cause i know they have em.

Guest ON3GO
oh crap i have been lazy i didnt see this thread. mike i go to school in collegedale which is about 20-30 mins from down town chatt. and well there is a car scene even some very i repeat very fast cars here. im thinking on moving up here after school. Warning check emmissions laws cause i know they have em.

dude, let me know if you find anything else out.

im really thinking about it.

mike