HybridZ

Is this a good switch for Taurus 2spd fan?

I drove to Kankakee, Il to visit Hybridz member Bluto and I picked up my 5spd tranny for my swap, and I also got from Bluto a 2spd Taurus fan. I want to hook this up but I want opinions on whats the best but cheapest radiatior switch? This one comes with the relay from Summit racing and is 39.75 and is made by a company called Derale. I look forward to your comments. Can anyone tell me where is a good place to get the plastic anchors to attach it to the radiator cheap?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DER%2D16759&N=4294860934+115&autoview=sku

der-16759.jpg

Yep. thats the one I have on my car. Very reliable.

Plastic anchors? What we (me and thumper) did was jam that probe into the radiator fins. It actually kicks on my fan at exactly 180* on the autometer gauge I have, so it appears to be a pretty accurate place to put the probe.

look very carefully at the pic for the place where i put the probe.

untitled_thumb.JPG

The plastic anchors is the term I used to describe attaching the taurus fan shroud to the radiator? I am assuming this is the way to hook it up to a 300zx? I wonder how much horsepower I will gain by converting to the electric fan?

I will hook my probe up the sameway, but I wonder, does yours over heat with such a little shroud?

I'm actually trying to source the plastic zip ties as well. They come with most radiator fans (aftermarket) but i can't seem to find where to buy the plastic zipties to replace them. I'm talking about the black usually plastic miniature probe looking pieces that go through the radiator and use a plastic locking mechanism on the other side to hold the fan to the radiator. Kinda like a ziptie but no loop.

-Ed

If you guys are talking about the plastic 'sticks' that go through the radiator to hold the fan in place, they are likely the same things used to mount tranny coolers to radiators. I found a set of them at Pep Boys. I needed a new set when I replace the radiator in the truck and had to cut the old ones to take the tranny cooler off.

Tim

You did alot better than me. Simple 120v 50 amp toggle swtich and some 10 gauge wire. Not even a relay.

Do you have 2 switches, 1 for low and 1 for high or what? Really low on money and really want to use this...

-Everyone?

Does anyone put anything in between the fan and the radiator to cushion it? I have heard of using a foam weatherstrip to buffer the plastic to metal.

yeah, mine has a thin layer of foam between the fan and rad.

Do yourself a favor and make/borrow/steal some money for the auto realay, you will thank yourself later, when you car doesn't overheat because you forgot to flip the switch!

Got my Taurus fan in, I went to autozone and purchased the stick kit for 4.99 and I also bought a Thermostat kit for 14.99. I went to put every thing in but realized that the kit was a single function, not a dual function. Tool late anyways, I am going to buy another relay this time and hook up my relay to the ingnition source for the low speed fan. The high speed fan is hooked up to the battery and uses the thermostat. Doesnt overheat, and got to get rid of the fan, fan clutch, lower and upper shrouds... My next project, is to install some LED's that I have to the wiring for the low and high speed fans so that they turn on when the fan is running on either speed. I plan on mounting the LED's next to my CD player.

Pretty cool.

Rick

so you have your fan on all the time on "low" when the ignition is on? Thats probably not such a good idea, mostly because the engine doesn't need the fan on ALL the time, only when the car is stopped, or going really slowly.

unless i read your post wrong...

edit: i can't believe i just threw away my taurus 2speed fan!

o well, upgrades are upgrades.