HybridZ

Tranny options for a 84 Turbo Z

Okay Z

Hi,I have asked questions on the V6 forums before [Thanks jason and mount cookson for help]but nobody seems to answer what tranny and clutch I should use.

I am Going to try and rebuild the motor and upgrade turbo fuel ect to get around 350-400 RWHP.THe problem is I don't know what tranny to use to replace the BOW 5 spd[everyone says it's a POS].

My Buddy who is helping me mod and rebuild the engine ,has a 90's 240sx with Low miles on it[he got it when he bought the engine]and it looks good.

I know it will bolt up if you swap bell housings with the BOW tranny.But would it hold 350-400 RWHP and I gues around 400ftlbs of torque reliably?I don't plan on doing much drag racing but a little here and there,mostly road racing and fun driving.I know everybody recommends a 87-89 turbo tranny,but they are hard to find and expensive.the other choice a z32 tranny looks like a lot of custonm work and again costs a bit.

If the 240sx tranny can't hold the power I want could it be rebuild at a resonable price to handle the power I want?I know that a lot of Nissan parts are interchangeable between cars,is there another tranny option from a cetain car or truck that would bolt up and handle that ammount of power?

Also what clutch should I get? I am leaning toward ACT stage 3 to handle the power I want but it says that it is not for the street driving and street driving can couse it to wear out faster,is that just if you arnt carfull and ride the clutch?or should I go for the stage 2? I just wonder if stage 2 can handle 350-400 RWHP.

Thanks for answering my questions,I did try and search,so if it has been answered before I'm sorry.

I'm not sure why people are saying the stock 5spd is no good. I have been running an 84T t5 5spd for years now, and I'm pushing 350 ft/lbs, and i have not babied the tranny. Maybe if you're pushing 500hp, then maybe consider something else, but 300+hp should not be an issue.

As far as a clutch goes, I am running a "Bully" clutch. I'm not sure what other z31 owners are using.

I would not use a race type clutch.. especially if it says not recomended for street driving. Even my clutch is fairly stiff, and gives an "on/off" type of feel when it engages. Pulling away slowly feels very "herky-jerky" if I pull away harder, it is no problem.

Scott