HybridZ

Trouble finding good deal on Fiberglass Headlight Buckets

Hugh

I'm looking for a set of fiberglass headlight buckets for my 1973 240z. My friend accidentally backed into me last night, and punched both of the steel ones in. Everything else is ok for the most part, but I gotta replace these things.

I plan to put all fiberglass and/or carbon fiber on the front of the car, so I don't want steel ones to replace them.

Anyone know where to buy them for less than $165 per side? (MSA)

Guest ON3GO

ive been looking for them for along time, i heard a few year Z's came with them in fiberglass but i never heard a year or a better answer then that.

i still want to get a pair for my green Z, my blue Z has the metal ones welded on to the fenders.

mike

Early 240Z's had factory fiberglass as I understand it. I asked about FG buckets last year, and for opinions on brands. I thought MS was expensive too, and no on could tell me who made them. Smoothline has them, I think a little cheaper, but I was warned about their lead times and quality. I eneded up taking a risk on a pair on e-bay. Think I got both for just over $100. They are OK, but not new old stock as the auction stated. Ironically, they were made by one of the companies that merged into or was bought by Smoothline, so probably out of the same molds. These were decent quality, but not as nice as the Reaction fenders they are bolted to....

yeah my early 260 has one original steel bucket and a replacement fiberglass one. The car had smacked something pretty hard on the front left corner and dented the whole side of the car. I am sanding off all of the paint to bare metal so I am finding all of these dents that could have been pushed out.

yeah my early 260 has one original steel bucket and a replacement fiberglass one. The car had smacked something pretty hard on the front left corner and dented the whole side of the car. I am sanding off all of the paint to bare metal so I am finding all of these dents that could have been pushed out.

I have no idea which my car came with... I think the whole front end was hit before. I have damage to both fenders that was half-assed repaired.

I'm going to swap the fenders out as well, hopefully soon.

Recently my hood has been backed over at least twice by people parallel parking SUV's in front of me. Their bumpers go right over the top of the hood and pinch it. I would love to catch one of these people hitting and running on my car out in front of my apartment building. :evil:

Anyway, I got one of them yesterday. He said he should have the other one.. so I may be ok now. However, this thread isn't a total waste of time if someone can come up with a cheap source for new parts.

Anyone know the weight difference between OEM metal and Fiberglass? I was told the fiberglass parts are actually heavier than metal.:shock: Does that go for the fenders as well?

Anyone know the weight difference between OEM metal and Fiberglass? I was told the fiberglass parts are actually heavier than metal.:shock: Does that go for the fenders as well?

I have a pair of the FG headlight buckets on mine and they are very thick and yes they weigh more than the metal ones. The fenders weigh about the same or possibly slightly less, my glass fenders weigh 11 lbs each with nothing attached to them. I realize you now have some headlight buckets but where I have run across them in the past is on cars in the wrecking yards, I have been suprised with how many FG parts I have found in the wrecking yards but after getting the parts that I have needed I did not pay much attention to the other parts I have run across.

Dragonfly

This is John Washingtons new product. I don't know if he has them up on his web site yet. www.reactionresearch.com

I saw them in February when he delivered the ragtop Z31. They look like perfect duplicates of the stock buckets only a little lighter. I believe he told me he was going to ask $95 each for them.

I can't find them on his site. Do I need to email him or something?

Thanks for all the help, guys!