HybridZ

Ford 9" solid axle

maxtor

Has anyone done this install on a 240Z? I have a ZZ3 engine in it now, with stock R200. It works great on a road course, but spins one wheel bad at the drags. So far nothing has broken, but if I ever get traction, bad things could happen. I have an idea about building a frame with a narrowed 9", install my 427 Ford engine and C6 trans, then hang the 240Z sheetmetal on it. Sounds expensive and time consuming. Might as well buy a Cobra kit and be done with it. Someone needs to produce a kit to hang a 9" Ford rearend for the 240Z, and that would open up options for increased horsepower.

OK instead of me saying use the search option this time i went ahead and did it. i used ford nine inch and got so many hits it was unbelievable it has been disscussed that many times here on HYBRIDZ. so i searched solid rearend and got abotu 2 pages of hits...

the search button rocks

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=405364

You know that's a really good idea. I'd bet that I could start making the frame supports, buy the ladder bars, coil over kits and make the 9 inch rear ends as a kit for 240/260/280z cars. Would require removal of the spare tire well, fuel tank, installation of a fuel cell. Hmmmmm.

You know that's a really good idea. I'd bet that I could start making the frame supports, buy the ladder bars, coil over kits and make the 9 inch rear ends as a kit for 240/260/280z cars. Would require removal of the spare tire well, fuel tank, installation of a fuel cell. Hmmmmm.

Now you're talking!

How about a independent rear diff stronger then the r230. Thats What I'm trying to look into. From what I can tell, the stock supra mk4 rear diff is very strong. There are drag cars in the low 8's on TRD diff.

I just dont see the advantage to a narrowed 8.8" or 9" if you can cut good 60fts with a indpendent rear that will hold together.

At what point does the R230 start having issues? Z-Gad and JNJ have really pushed the R200, and it has definitely brought me to attention.

Regards,

Justin

I don't think the issue is with the diff itself, from what I know it's the connection between the diff and the wheel. The CV is apparently the way to go in that respect. However, with the 9 inch I don't have any issues at all!!!! I'm sure the 8.8 would be the same. It's a matter of choice, preference, time, capability to make the swap, and what you have lying around, etc. I'm not sure one is better than the other ala JNJ and ZGAD............We are all in the 9's!

I personally think the solid rearend is best. No offense to anyone running in the 9s on the stock rearend but once the car really leaves hard IE transbrake or good clutch the reareend will let go. not the diff but an axle or stub shaft. i danced around doing a custom IRS but it would be very expensive and ultimatly more expensive then a solid rearend swap.

just my 2 cents

not to mention just the prices and selection of gears and diffs for say an 8.8" vs a R200. Also a solid rear can and will leave just as hard if not harder than a IRS setup if it is setup correctly, ESPECIALLY on the track. Also considering 8.8"s were in every V8 stang from '85+ they are truely a dime a dozen and the aftermarket is huge for them.

I plan on a solid 8.8" with ladderbar/coilovers on my 240Z as soon as soon as I get the LS1 in and running and stiffen up the body with frame connectors and a cage.

The wife just got me a new puter I will see if she can do some pictures. I am not a puter person but I can hold my own with engines and a chassis. There were some pictures of it going over at gasser maddness when I was running the b/gas nostalgia stuff I will see if I can find that.