HybridZ

Question for the mod community... help me out here

bluesinged

Whats the fastest, easiest, cheapest, and most reliable way to get an 83 2 seater ZXT into the low mid 12's to low 13's???

Might be a re-post but i searched around and i really suck at searching i guess :(

(not my rustbucket... a different car)

:( no one loves me

It's not really a question of love. :D It's got more to do with the fact that all the answers to your questions have been asked and answered many times and most folks here don't really feel like re-hashing some of these questions over and over.

There is no single previous thread that will answer your question. The answer is likely in MANY threads and it requires a fair amount of research (searching)to find what you are looking for.

The other problem is that your question is pretty subjective. If you ask a dozen different members what is "fastest, easiest, cheapest, and most reliable" you will get a dozen (or more) different opinions that may all have merit.

I know that's not all that helpful to you, but it's an answer to why not many people are responding. Good luck on your research.

• Administrators

The answer to your question is a nice warmed over budget Chevy V-8 swap. (I know most of you think I’m strictly an L-series guy with all the custom L-series heads we build here, but deep down, if it goes fast, I really don’t’ care what’s under the hood, and bang for he buck, the SBC swap is pretty hard to beat).

For example, for my personal daily driver back in the late ‘90’s, I personally built a 280 Z that ran very consistent 12.3 @ 113 MPH at Woodburn drag strip in northern Oregon, using a VERY mild Chev 355, (cast pistons, Edlebrock performer intake, hooker shorty headers, 041 casting iron heads with 1.94/1.50 valves, cam was a s 216/228 @.050” on 112 LC, 468/480 lift). Running on some real cheesy 195 60 HR 14” all season tires, Yokohama Y-388 to be exact. Trans was a Borg Warner W/C T-5 five speed trans from a ’91 Firebird. The engine idled glass smooth at 750 RPM,, no lope whatsoever, got 20 MPG on the freeway with a Holley 650 double pumper, and if the throttle was used judiciously, the car was as docile to drive around town as a stock L-28 powered Z car. My wife regularly drove the car around the greater Portland area with no problems of it being a beast.

280Z2.jpg

Good luck

Track down CodyZXT. He has an '83ZXT that has run a 12.9 in the quarter and I don't think it is hugely modified. HTere is, hbowever, no fast, cheap & reliable combination that I know of that works. Usually one is lost at the expense of the others.

Track down CodyZXT[/u']. He has an '83ZXT that has run a 12.9 in the quarter and I don't think it is hugely modified. HTere is, hbowever, no fast, cheap & reliable combination that I know of that works. Usually one is lost at the expense of the others.

Thanks for the intro......

Anyway I guess the real question is how many times do you want it to be able to go down the track that fast and how big is our budget? You said cheap but, really a number helps. Even if your just guessing.

Check out my site. It has most of the things that I've done to the car on it.

http://www.angelfire.com/space/nismo1turbo/